What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Very basic question - trim vs autopilot

rjcthree

Well Known Member
All, I'm planning to go with at least a single-axis (heading) autopilot. I've also opted for electric aileron trim. Is this redundant, can I eliminate the trim and will the autopilot servo do this job? What is the normal mounting, etc? Thanks, Rick 90432

You need both

Auto pilot is wonderful and I would hate to fly without my two axis TruTrak, but I need at least the elevator trim for setting up to land.

When I get the trim right she almost lands herself hands off.

All, I'm planning to go with at least a single-axis (heading) autopilot. I've also opted for electric aileron trim. Is this redundant, can I eliminate the trim and will the autopilot servo do this job? What is the normal mounting, etc? Thanks, Rick 90432

Rick, you want aileron trim even if you have a wing leveler. You want to have the plane in trim at all times, especially when the autopilot isn't engaged so you won't have to constantly apply stick pressure to offset uneven fuel load. If the autopilot is engaged, and the plane is out of trim, you will receive quite a surprise when you disengage the autopilot for landing and the plane presents you with an unexpected roll! Keep the plane in trim and you won't have to worry about unexpected "aerobatics". :)

The manual aileron trim is light, simple, reliable, and effective. It works beautifully with an autopilot. I have nearly 850 hrs in my RV-6 with various autopilots and the manual trim.

I agree with Sam, the aileron trim and autopilot work very well together.

I have the dual trim and autopilot, and I use them all from time to time.

Maybe I am getting old, but in my 8, I do enjoy being able to relax a bit to look around, or get that map when I am alone, and the autopilot helps, or maybe it is just a luxury I enjoy after flying Army rotary wing for 13 years and never being able to release the contols!

But one thing remains constant, hand flying the RV is just a hoot all the time.

Back