What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How Cold is Too Cold?

Scott Chastain

Again, He said to me, "Prophecy to these bones, and say to them, 'O dry bones, hear the word of the Lord! Thus says the Lord God to these bones: "Surely I will cause breath to enter into you, and you shall live. I will put sinews on you and bring flesh upon you, cover you with skin and put breath in you; and you shall live. Then you shall know that I am the Lord."'"

Ezekiel 37:5-6

Last edited:
Too cold

I can't give you a hard number, but you will know you have found it when the paint turns milky and flat while drying. :(

John Clark
RV8 N18U "Sunshine"
KSBA

check randy's site

i seem to recall him painting in the 40-50's with great results. i would be a little afraid of those temps though.

http://www.romeolima.com/RV8/Paint.htm

"Temperature - I shot much of my pieces in 40 degree temps and it really worked fine. It did take a bit longer to set up, and I used faster reducer, but it was surprisingly temperature tolerant"

FWIW, my plane was painted in the beginning of February 2007 in chilly Alabama (yes it does get cold there 30-40-50 deg wx). Think Bobby had some heaters in his shop but nothing major. He told me the plane would take a few days longer because the clear was taking longer to cure. But other than that no ill effects. I get compliments all the time.

Back