What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-4 canopy for RV-3 slider ?

• Thread starter jerry karlsberg
  • Start date
J

jerry karlsberg

It occurred to me that installing an RV-4 bubble (cut to make it into a slider) on an RV-3 could make for a lot more ingress/egress room by moving the fixed (windshield) part of the canopy forward until it's even with the panel. This would give 4-6" more open space with the canopy open. Does anyone see a problem with this? What about the width of the 3 vs. 4 canopies?

Thanks,

Jerry

I think the ingress/egress constraint comes from the sliding part of the canopy... you can't slide it back far enough to get it fully out of the way to let you slide your butt down the seatback. I have a tipover (and like it!) so I can't speak with authority here.

Randy,
What is it that limits the aft travel of the rv-3 sliding canopy?
Jerry

Randy is correct. It is the slider going aft till the plastic sliding parts hit the seat back bulkhead. Also make sure the bar that it slides on will cause the aft end to rise up as it goes aft. The windshield must match the slider when it is full foreward...Think it out carefully as you read the plans. I could do it better if I ever built another. R Bentley

Richard,

What is it that enables an rv-4 slider to go past the seat back bulkhead, but not the one on the rv-3?

Ref. RV4 slider. I have never seen one nor the plans for one. You just have to scratch build one like the -3. so the same issues apply. It will slide on the side longerons and stop at the seat back. Just re design the whole thing. Good luck. RB

RV-3 side hinge canopy

I installed a side hinge canopy on my RV-3. I still don't have any turn over structure installed. (Headrest on seat back bulkhead and into top longeron in baggage compartment.)
Canopy frame was made from two of the RV-4 canopy bows. Just made a little narrower.

Jim Ayers
RV-3 sn50 1988 650 TT

Ref. RV4 slider. I have never seen one nor the plans for one. You just have to scratch build one like the -3. so the same issues apply. It will slide on the side longerons and stop at the seat back. Just re design the whole thing. Good luck. RB
Page 291 of my copy of the 24 Years of the RVator shows a photo of an RV-4 with a slider canopy. Also a good article claiming that Van designed the original RV-4 design to incorporate a slider and why it did not go into the finalized design. Kind of cool looking though - makes it look like a stretched limo version of the RV-3.
INMHO - the RVator is an absolute must have for builders of any RV design.

Back