What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Petzl Zippka Headlamp

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Best utility light I've ever owned!

produitimage258ds3.jpg

I've been carrying on of these little things around in the airplane now for about 6 months, ever since Louise (the veteran cave explorer) showed me hers that she never goes anywhere without. It's a little LED headlamp with it's own retractable headband, powered by two AAA batteries that will last about 100-150 hours. I was reminded of it today when we were walking the unlit runway at Lake Whitney State Park before sunrise, and the light from this thing was enough to brighten the runway from edge to edge.

I have used it numerous times in the airplane for preflighting at night - you put it on, and light is everywhere you want to look. It is plenty of light to do the cockpit preflight until you get the instrument lights on. It also comes with a red and yellow lens if you want to preserve night vision - or use the clear lens if you want to read late into the night in your tent without worrying about the light dieing - this thing will last for a week!

Excellent little addition to the cockpit, is much smaller than an egg, fits in your palm, and is rugged as heck. Far better than a hand-held flashlight for just about everything you might do in the cockpit, or around the plane at night. The Petzl web site can tell you where to get them.

Paul

I have their Tactikka Plus model, which has a red filter that simply flips up and down over the light. I had an older model with the interchangable lenses, but the flip-up filter feature is something I'd consider essential for flying. I think I paid about $40 for it at REI.

They have a few other models that have sliding color filters -- Tactikka XP for example.

I do like the fact that Petzl packages the same basic LED headlamp a number of ways - and they are all really rugged. You're right Adam, the Tactikka is a pretty nice model as well. I like the Zippka because of the cool retracting head band cords - it makes a solid little package with nothing to tangle when it's just tossed in a bag.

... powered by two AAA batteries ....
You've hit upon the #1 problem I have with this (and pretty much every other LED) leadlamp - AAA batteries! 90% of the devices in the US use AA batteries ... I try and get everything to run on the same size battery - ANR headset, flashlight, handheld radio, backup GPS .... *sigh*

Yes, I have the one with the full elastic strap and I love it. But, please, Petzl, can we get a version that uses AA?

TODR

You've hit upon the #1 problem I have with this (and pretty much every other LED) leadlamp - AAA batteries! 90% of the devices in the US use AA batteries ... I try and get everything to run on the same size battery - ANR headset, flashlight, handheld radio, backup GPS .... *sigh*

Yes, I have the one with the full elastic strap and I love it. But, please, Petzl, can we get a version that uses AA?

TODR

You want a AA LED Headlamp? No problem! Take a look at any of a number of headlamps for caving - the one on my helmet (that Louise got me this year at the NSS convention) is from Princeton Tec - takes 4 AA's in a battery pack. If you go to AA's on a little thing like this is that it will no longer be, well, little.....

But we each have our different needs, and that's why they make so many different types!:)

Paul

Petzl E+LITE

Take a look at the new Petzl E+LITE. In addition to the normal white light, it also has a red LED for night use, a strobe feature, a clip in addition to the headband, and the light can be rotated for better aiming. It stores in a nifty little plastic case.

It is powered by two lithium batteries, which are more expensive, but Petzl claims they will provide up to 45 hours of use and can be stored for up to ten years.

I bought mine at REI.

...Joe

I love my Petzl Tactikka or however you spell it. I now view it as a must have for night flying, particularly in rentals or in those RVs that dont have the best night lighting. I cant believe that I did so much night flying without knowing about the headlamp.

The E+LITE that Joe mentions is also a cool little unit, and cheaper than the Zippka....I held both of them in my hands and decided on the Zippka because it is completely self-contained, no case, and you can put Lithium AAA's in it and make it last dang near forever!

Paul

I have the Tikka XP and love it. It runs on AAA batts.

I haven't flown with it, but it sure comes in handy at camp Scholler for navigating your way to the Porto-o-Johns after a few beers. :D

/thread revival

Hi Guys,

I just received my Petzl Zipka 2 Plus and its awesome. It has a white LED and red LED with different modes. The White LED is super bright and theres also a strobe mode too for emergencies.

The Zipka Plus 2 runs on three AAA batteries and has a neat little cord to hold it around your head. Its a great little unit!

Wow, I sure could have used that laying on my back under the panel of my 9 installing some new stuff last week. Got a Zipka plus 2 ordered and should be here tuesday. Thanks Paul. :) Got it from Back Country for $36.00. Maybe the green color will make it easier to find

Ours get as much use in the shop as they do in the cockpit - might as well buy a couple and just leave one in the tool box - sure is handy when working inside the fuselage or underneath the engine!

Paul

Pffffffffftttttttttt....

I've owned 2 Petzel, and one Black Diamond headlamps ($30-$40). By far, the BEST headlamp I own is an Eveready Energizer Lamp ($10). It has 4 while LEDs (can illuminate 2 at a time or all 4) and 2 red LEDs. With all 4 white LEDs lit I call it my "flame thrower" it's so bright. Two of the white LEDs are for diffuse light while the other 2 are focused for distance. It's nice having both white and red LEDs in the same device and without having to change or flip lenses. My Petzel and Black Diamond headlamps are now in the bottom of my drawer... :D

30422561-260x260-0-0_Energizer+Headlight+with+6+Leds.jpg

Last edited:
I still love my new Zipka plus 2. It is so light and will fit in my shirt pocket. The retractable headband cord is the bomb.

Love my Zipka Plus 2.

As a matter of fact, I ordered another one. It is perfectly sized and just right amount of light. Love it.

Another good alternative

I've owned 2 Petzel, and one Black Diamond headlamps ($30-$40). By far, the BEST headlamp I own is an Eveready Energizer Lamp ($10). It has 4 while LEDs (can illuminate 2 at a time or all 4) and 2 red LEDs. With all 4 white LEDs lit I call it my "flame thrower" it's so bright. Two of the white LEDs are for diffuse light while the other 2 are focused for distance. It's nice having both white and red LEDs in the same device and without having to change or flip lenses. My Petzel and Black Diamond headlamps are now in the bottom of my drawer... :D

30422561-260x260-0-0_Energizer+Headlight+with+6+Leds.jpg

We have a couple of these, too, and like them. But, the Petzls are much more compact and decades of rough use of products by both these manufacturers means the Everreadys sit in our tool boxes and the Petzls go on trips.

Petzl something?

I have a compact Petzl that sounds a lot like the one discussed here. I wondered if I had the wonderful model so just looked and can't find an identification on it. Anyway it has four LEDs, a retractable string system and two triple A batteries and is one of the handiest things I own.

It is great for working on the airplane as it gives you another hand. For a pre-dawn walk you just toss it in your pocket in case it is needed. It gets much use working on the cars and is unsurpassed for stereo system wiring changes.

I have owned mine for many years and have not yet replaced the batteries. How did we ever get along without these tiny and extremely handy headlamps?

Batteries?

I haven't had to put batteries in my "ceiling burner" yet:D ,Although the crossover to aviation might be a bit much to ask for, especially checking the tanks :eek:. Its hard trying to crossover to LED lighting after a good carbide light ( getting through the crawlway with hair still on my arms takes some getting use to). Everybody caving with me tends to hang around me and suck off the ambient glow of carbide when in large borehole walking passages and breakdown. I cave with people who have everything from the top end lights to Wal-Mart specials and outside of a top-end Sten Light, most people seem to prefer the lower cost "Eveready" type of LED light. I guess its not as traumatic when you smash it up real good against the rocks.

I have two LED lamps that I have used caving and would probably recommend the one put out by Energizer. It has a good spot LED along with 2 flood and 2 red flood LED's. I think this is the best all around light to use for aviation. You can cycle through the switch to whatever suits your needs.

Please excuse the caving ramblings:)
NSS 39034RL

Meet the mission

Okay, I love my ceiling burner for cold, borehole and my Zipka is strictly a backup/camp lamp on caving trips, but carbide (ceiling burner or cap lamp) and even the uber-bright Eveready are not the right light for bucking fuselage rivets inside a -3. :eek:

Okay, I love my ceiling burner for cold, borehole and my Zipka is strictly a backup/camp lamp on caving trips, but carbide (ceiling burner or cap lamp) and even the uber-bright Eveready are not the right light for bucking fuselage rivets inside a -3. :eek:

I was waiting for Louise to respond.

I loved carbide in some ways but in my area, carbide is a thing of the past, not only in RV-3s but in caves. Illegal in some caves and not accepted in others. I haven't seen it used in a long long time. LED is king now.

Nothing like that rancid smell to evoke memories though!

"Oh Carbide Lamp, Oh Carbide Lamp, dah da dah da....." Come on cavers - sing along!!! ;)

Yeup - those new EverReady's are bright - but the best thing about the Zippka isn't the more-than-adequate light output - it's that retractable string thingy, because it is a solid (tiny) lump in your pocket - not a wadded bunch of strap that gets caught in your keys and money-clip.....

I love my headlight

My garage lighting is terrible so my Energizer headlights (i have 2) were a life saver on my build. Now that I'm flying its definately going in the cockpit at night.

Back