What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cowling parting line?

N941WR

Legacy Member
Could someone with a -7 or -9 tell me how far down the side (by rivet count) the cowling parting line is?

The reason I need to know is I?m going to install Skybolt CLock fasteners on my -9 and I would like to know where to locate them down the side before my finishing kit arrives in 10 weeks.

Thanks!

Parting line

Bill: If I understand the question correctly, you will probably have to wait untill the engine is mounted and the cowling is fit. There is a bunch of trimming that takes place and depending on the engine, carb or fuel injection, etc.. There may be a difference between the 7 and 9 also. Someone might be able to answer this and give you the count up from the bottom and give you some room for error. However, you will be working on the cowling for an extended period of time and I would personally wait so that you can be sure of the fit and spacing that you want. IMHO. Good luck. Jack

What...

Fitting the cowling isn't a 10 minute job? ;)

Jack,

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking that where the part line on the firewall is fixed for all the -7's & -9's, thus I could make the saw tooth tabs needed for the CLock's and drill them to the cowling later.

Because I'm not using hinges, I can't rivet the firewall into place until I make the tabs. Sounds a bit like the chicken and egg thing.

thinking

Bill: The more I think about it, I might agree that you could make the parts that you are describing. It's been awhile since I fitted my cowling, but you are correct that the bottom is fixed. I or someone could measure from the bottom up to the parting line, but you would need to be clear on how the measurement was taken. Since there is a curve and not a right angle at the bottom. But, you may not have to be that precise when laying out the c-lock spacing. If you don't hear from someone else sooner, I will measure mine tomorrow and let you know tomorrow evening. Jack

Back