What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin 396 Announced

tx_jayhawk

Well Known Member
I don't think it's hit the website quite yet (should momentarily), but the Garmin 396 handheld has now been announced. As others have suspected, the 396 brings the addition of XM weather and audio to a platform somewhat similar to the 296. It also provides capability to display TIS traffic via the GTX 330 interface. Having seen this firsthand, I can say that this is truly an awesome product!

Garmin 396

Cool - I hope that means the 296 will drop a bit in price!

PS

The Garmin web site now lists the 396. Retail list price is $2695 and they will offer the automobile add on for free at Oshkosh.

Wow! Have the price of our toys gone up or what?

And after you've wended your way through the clutter, bumps, bursts and TFR's, you better pray it's VMC where you're going because legally, for your $2695 suggested retail you can't legally use it to shoot an approach!

I'll be the first to affirm that it's a lot of package for the money. But, for my $0.02, if I really need those capabilities to fly the way I'm going to fly, I want them in my panel and certified.

But for 1/2 of that price? Hmmmmmmmm........

ddurakovich said:

And after you've wended your way through the clutter, bumps, bursts and TFR's, you better pray it's VMC where you're going because legally, for your $2695 suggested retail you can't legally use it to shoot an approach!

I'll be the first to affirm that it's a lot of package for the money. But, for my $0.02, if I really need those capabilities to fly the way I'm going to fly, I want them in my panel and certified.

Although I agree that on the surface it appears to be expensive....

Many folks out there now are using the AnywhereMap WX product...which is just an Ipaq, an XM antenna and a GPS for $2,595. And let me tell you...I think the 396 will beat the AnywhereMap product hands-down. Purpose-built devices are almost always better than cludged together solutions.

To add XM WX to a 430 you'd need the GDL 69 (MSRP $4995). Why not keep your 430 screen free and add the 396 for WX, TIS and terrain? Although I agree there is just something inherently elegant about all panel-mounted devices...a savings of multiple thousands of dollars to get WX in the cockpit (plus add another NICE moving map for backup) is...well...a no-brainer...but that's only my humble opinion.

Respectfully,

Jamie said:
Why not keep your 430 screen free and add the 396 for WX, TIS and terrain...

Both a 430 and a 396 in the panel? Sure, why not! Gotta run down to Kinko's and use their best copier to print up some new cash...

Sorry, couldn't resist! I'm just an economy minded type who's glad to see the 396 introduced since the price of the 296 might now come down a couple hundred bucks... and that's all the capability I need. Yeaaa.

Jamie said:
Although I agree that on the surface it appears to be expensive....

Many folks out there now are using the AnywhereMap WX product...which is just an Ipaq, an XM antenna and a GPS for $2,595. And let me tell you...I think the 396 will beat the AnywhereMap product hands-down. Purpose-built devices are almost always better than cludged together solutions.
Absolutely no argument there whatsoever! Nor do I disagree that it's a powerfull package, comparatively speaking, for the price!

I was a fairly early adopter of the AnywhereMap product myself (actually put it to good use one early September morning back in 2001 when I was denied access to the Houston Class B and told to land immediately!). But by the time I had everything connected, I needed a plan for just managing all the cables, and still couldn't file /G!

I think my comment was more of a philosophical one than anything else. The older I get the more I seem to notice our almost complete reliance on technology rather than common sense. I can easily see people jumping in their planes without regard for proper briefings just because they have a nice "weather picture" painted for them in the cockpit. Having that technology available does not always constitute that it will be used properly.

There have been a couple of times I would have appreciated having that info while in (semi) hard IFR in my Cherokee. ATC was not as quick to point out the SERIOUS convective activity very near me as I would have liked. However, I was in constant communication with ATC. I wonder how many will assume they have as much information as they would ever need with the 396 to go forth without benefit of another opinion or set of eyes?

Hence my comment about our toys. If used "strictly" as Garmin is promoting this unit to be used, for "Unparalleled Situational Awareness", it is in fact little more than a toy. People have been safely flying higher, faster and farther for decades without any of those capabilities. What concerns me is that this really cool toy will be used by people to go where even ATP's fear to tread!

Like I said though, for half of that price (plus or minus) I would trade in my (now) trusty Garmin 195!

ddurakovich said:

Just wondering, why can't you use them "legally" and why would you want "certified"?

The reason I ask, the process of getting something "certified" (or TSO'ed) is expensive and adds a lot to the price but actually does nothing for the instrument. It may make you feel more confident in the instrument but that's just a feeling and again, does nothing for the instrument.

The instrumentation I have seen in some RV's is actually much better than I have seen in a number of old "IFR certified" C-172s yet these instruments aren't TSO'ed, cost much less and provide better information to the pilot.

I'm not flaming you, just trying to illustrate a point. These aren't traditional certified airplanes, there is no requirement (except maybe a personal choice) for TSO'ed instruments. A lot of builders fly behind experimental engines and trust them, is there really any reason not to fly behind non-TSO'ed instruments and trust them as well?

Rat

The most important part of GPS certifiability is stated with one word: RAIM.

Other issues come up with portable devices and how they might work differently when switched between different aircraft, but RAIM is a biggie as far as I can tell.

RatMan said:
Just wondering, why can't you use them "legally" and why would you want "certified"?

The reason I ask, the process of getting something "certified" (or TSO'ed) is expensive and adds a lot to the price but actually does nothing for the instrument. It may make you feel more confident in the instrument but that's just a feeling and again, does nothing for the instrument.

The instrumentation I have seen in some RV's is actually much better than I have seen in a number of old "IFR certified" C-172s yet these instruments aren't TSO'ed, cost much less and provide better information to the pilot.

I'm not flaming you, just trying to illustrate a point. These aren't traditional certified airplanes, there is no requirement (except maybe a personal choice) for TSO'ed instruments. A lot of builders fly behind experimental engines and trust them, is there really any reason not to fly behind non-TSO'ed instruments and trust them as well?

Rat
Not feeling any flames, not to worry!

I am using non-TSO'd gyros (some people will say I'm crazy to take that chance), gauges, as well as an engine that, although I've used all 'approved parts', I built it up myself so it is considered experimental.

Not a matter of TSO'd or certified, per se. I was referring specifically to the use of equipment during IFR flights. No handheld GPS is approved. Most panel mounts are not either. There is a specific certification/installation to have a "legal" GPS for Instrument flight.

My issue is more with the "appropriateness" of a piece of equipment for the mission. Lycoming engines are the oldest, most primative technology you can imagine, so why are they still in use? Because they're virtually bullet proof. A certified GPS has at least gone through a process that should indicate a level of certainty as to reliability, accuracy and legality for use. Is newer handheld technology better? Probably. Can you be sure it will meet the above three criteria? And trust your life and those of your friends and family to it?

Again, my entire point was for a specific use not even endorsed by the manufacturer. Will people use it for those 'other' purposes? You know they will. It's human nature, and it's there in front of you.

I would have absolutely no reservations about (and regularly do, in fact) climbing into the cockpit of an airplane equipped ONLY with an ASI, altimeter, compass and T&B for typical VFR flight. How many RV builders out there won't consider flying without an AOA or stall warning alert? Would I install a Dynon or other EFIS? Probably, I love cool toys to! Would I be satisfied with a Dynon, GRT or Blue Mountain for IFR flight? Not yet. Not enough experience or history, and in my mind, not suitable for the mission. At least not yet.

And when I see technology of such a high end nature that it's intended use (at least by the manufacturers suggestions) is to basically confirm what you should already be able to identify by looking out the window, I get concerned that it will become a "primary" instrument rather than an aid to situational awareness. Used properly, it's a way cool toy, but there are other 'toys' I need (WANT!) that will give me more bang for my bucks.

Scott DellAngelo said:
This thing is a serious chunk of change. Now I will have to decide whether the 296 or 396, but with the 396 you get to pay $75 startup fee plus $30 or $50 per month to use it (cost of XM weather subscription). From what I can see the 396 is identical to the 296 with XM added???

I plan to fly IFR but I don't know if it is really worth spending $1000 more for the GPS plus $30 a month to have weather. That buys a bunch of gas and I figure my plane will be used IFR (actual) relatively little.

Hmmm....

Scott

The other difference I see with the 396 is that it can be used for TIS when coupled with the GTX-330. It will also send freq's to the SL-30 NAV/COM. As far as I know, the 296 does not have this capability. I'm assuming that Garmin will provide some sort of quick connect that can be wired into the panel....should be interesting to say the least...

Scott DellAngelo said:
True, you don't need TSO'ed, EXCEPT with GPS.

Scott

If you could point me in the direction of where you found a GPS has to be TSO'ed to be used in a homebuilt, I would really appreciate it.

Rat

ddurakovich said:
My issue is more with the "appropriateness" of a piece of equipment for the mission.

We're on the same page then Dave, just because it's legal doesn't mean it's smart and I agree with you. Just seems to be a lot of people thinking they have to use specific instruments because of a piece of paper a company holds. Just not true. I appreciate the companies out there developing the affordable toys we have, some of them will eventually be TSO'ed and they will then command a much higher price for the same equipment.

Besides, most RV builders have much more than just what's required whether it be VFR or IFR, most are equipt very nicely indeed.

Rat

Last edited:
The trouble with technology (coming from a man who has had as many as three networks and two workstations going simultaneously in a 1 bedroom apartment, with NO internet connection, just for the heck of it) is that many people perceive complexity, ease of use, and reliability to be proportional to cost. Hence, the $2695 handheld GPS/XM radio/NEXRAD weather/Margarita maker (OK, maybe too much!) is such a bargain it should be a snap to use, completely reliable, and require little or no training to use to it's fullest extent! A recipe for disaster!

On the other hand, when you plop down $15K for that panel mount unit, you better buy the simulator and spend some time working on it because......

I fully subscribe to the theory that he/she with the most toys when they die wins! I'm truly saddened by the realization that it won't be me! :(

ddurakovich said:
The trouble with technology (coming from a man who has had as many as three networks and two workstations going simultaneously in a 1 bedroom apartment, with NO internet connection, just for the heck of it) is that many people perceive complexity, ease of use, and reliability to be proportional to cost. Hence, the $2695 handheld GPS/XM radio/NEXRAD weather/Margarita maker (OK, maybe too much!) is such a bargain it should be a snap to use, completely reliable, and require little or no training to use to it's fullest extent! A recipe for disaster!

Hmmm... Well that school of thought did make Bill Gates a bizilionaire didn't it. I don't mind people thinking that either, it's kept me in a job for most of my adult life. Also proves your point well.

ddurakovich said:
I fully subscribe to the theory that he/she with the most toys when they die wins! I'm truly saddened by the realization that it won't be me! :(

But we won't come in last! :)

Rat

RatMan said:
If you could point me in the direction of where you found a GPS has to be TSO'ed to be used in a homebuilt, I would really appreciate it.

Rat

I can only find lots of references to TSO 129 (a1) and (a2) for anything to do with IFR GPS. Nothing comes even remotely close to saying a handheld and IFR legal anywhere near the same paragraph. It seems as though even the antenna needs to be TSO'ed on IFR legal GPS installations.

Scott DellAngelo said:
I can only find lots of references to TSO 129 (a1) and (a2) for anything to do with IFR GPS. Nothing comes even remotely close to saying a handheld and IFR legal anywhere near the same paragraph. It seems as though even the antenna needs to be TSO'ed on IFR legal GPS installations.
Been awhile since I read them that closely, but as I recall they need to 'meet the standards' of the respective TSO. A subtle difference.

However, it's fairly easy to see that a handheld won't meet those standards!

You nailed it Dave. While equipment in an Experimental doesn't have to actually BE a TSO unit, it DOES have to meet all requirements that are put forth and are met BY a TSO'd unit.

The absence of RAIM alone precludes any portable from being used as an IFR GPS, and there are also annunciation requirements... and other stuff as well (but again, no RAIM means no portable GPS can be used for IFR GPS flight).

On the other hand, a person could have one heckuva inexpensive IFR aircraft with an SL-30 driving a proper CDI as your legal IFR equipment. You could then legally use the non-IFR GPS as guidance on IFR flights as long as you didn't file and fly a GPS IFR flightplan that depended upon GPS guidance, and as long as your SL-30 took precedence over the GPS in the event of conflicting information.

Not to sound condescending here, but in the event I'm killed in a midair by a person flying IFR using a portable GPS receiver for guidance, I'm hoping my survivors sue their survivors for every penny they might make in the next 100 years. :mad:

Last edited:
While I had a panel mount KLN-90A in my Cherokee, I never had it certified, and never filed /G. I usually always did note "VFR GPS" in the comments of my IFR flight plan, and seldom failed to get a "direct" routing at some point during the flight.

Almost always VMC, and I believe ALWAYS in radar coverage.

There's a lot that can be legally done with a VFR GPS. My concern has always been that people believe that they're just as good as IFR units, and attempt to use them that way.

I'm off my soapbox, done with this thread!

Highflight said:
On the other hand, a person could have one heckuva inexpensive IFR aircraft with an SL-30 driving a proper CDI as your legal IFR equipment. You could then legally use the non-IFR GPS as guidance on IFR flights as long as you didn't file and fly a GPS IFR flightplan that depended upon GPS guidance, and as long as your SL-30 took precedence over the GPS in the event of conflicting information.

Not to sound condescending here, but in the event I'm killed in a midair by a person flying IFR using a portable GPS receiver for guidance, I'm hoping my survivors sue their survivors for every penny they might make in the next 100 years. :mad:

That's what I am doing. SL30 and Mid continent CDI, panel mounted handheld

Last edited:
Misunderstood

I think some may have misunderstood my comments and I may have even ruffled some feathers and I certainly didn't intend to do that. I was only pointing out that instruments used in an experimental airplane do not have to be TSO'ed. Because of this you can purchase and use instruments that are just as good or even better in some cases than those that are said to be "certified".

I didn't mean to imply that a portable GPS should be used for IFR. Only to point out that it doesn't need to be TSO'ed to be used in general. Even if you purchased the best, most expensive GPS available, if you installed it yourself the installation would still have to be done in accordance with AC 20-138 or AC 20-130A. Even then, your homebuilt wouldn't be any more "certified" than one using the minimum required. Safer? Probably. Depends on the guy holding the stick.

Now I suppose there is an argument to be made that having any GPS is better than not having one. If your plane has proper instrumentation for IFR and you have a VFR GPS as well, would you use it? I've seen more than a few C-172's with yoke mounted GPS's but I've never asked if they turn them off when they get in the clouds.

As far as lawsuits are concerned, if I die doing what I love I hope my family celebrates that fact. I wouldn't want anyone else to suffer because of it. There's already enough of that in this world.

Rat

Back