What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Source for used Garmin 430?

apatti

Well Known Member
Does anyone know a good source for used Garmin 430's? About how much should I expect to pay for one? How about a used 430W?

Thanks,

I started out on ebay because I didn't have any other leads. AT the time (three years ago), there were quite a few for sale, but there was also a LOT of overseas scamming going on, and everyone was warning about buying on that way. I'm fairly cautious about that kind of thing, so I used the ebay listings to find legitimate avionics shops in the US that were selling equipment that way, went to their ebay stores, and bought that way - I think mine came from Jolliet (J.A. ?). Anyway, once I found them on ebay, I called, and they said they could sell me a new one for only a couple hundred dollars more than the going used price, and it was a done deal!

just one experience,

Paul

I bought my 430W on Ebay. I spent a good period of time following the different auctions to get a feel for what I could expect to spend. Some bids end high and some lower. The age of the unit and if it has WAAS and Terrain obviously makes a difference in the final price.

The price I paid was $6800.00 for what amounted to a new unit. The avionics shop told me that they installed it as a loaner while the owners unit was sent for WAAS upgrade. Since it was installed the shop would not sell it as new so listed it as a used unit. They said that the plane was not even flown.

If you use EBay, my only recommendations are
1) Be realistic about what you will need to spend. A deal that is too good to believe is just that. There are scammers out there but if you are careful, you can see them coming.
2) Always pay through places like Paypal. They are not perfect but they at least have banking info on the seller.
3) NEVER NEVER pay through Western Union!!!! There is no record of who picks up the money and you are almost always scammed.
4) Sometimes after you bid, you will get an email about second chance sales...those are usually scams.
5) If you find a unit that you really want, watch it right down to the last second. A lot of bidding occurs in the last 30 minutes...don't get caught up in the excitement of bidding or you may end up paying more than you you intended.

Hope this helps

Jim Kinsey
7A Fuselage

Also remember that Garmin is now charging $3,000 to upgrade a non-W unit to a "W" unit. Take this into consideration if you are bidding on a non-W unit.

Back in April, '07 we purchased a used 430 off eBay from JA aircenter, gave $5500, called them up, added a used GI106A ($1500), and GMA340($900) for total of 8 grand. Installed in June, upgraded to WAAS in August.

Since then used prices seemed to have firmed up a little.

Mitch
www.chickashawings.com

430 / 530

Doesn't matter which STARK AVIONICS gave me the best deal when I upgraded....There followup is great...!!!

Back