What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Rentals in Oahu

roadrunner20

Well Known Member
Can anyone direct me to where I can rent a plane on Oahu?
I plan on being out there in May for a few weeks and would like to get checked out & possibly do some island hopping.
Not sure whether their insurance will allow flights to the other islands without an instructor on board.

TIA.

Flight

I have a friend that is a instructor there. If interested send me a PM.

Been there; Done that!

Dan, we were just in Hawaii last year, rented planes from a couple of different places, and flew all the major islands.

Kawaii is a must, but there are no plane rentals there. We rented in Oahu (Honolulu airport) and flew Kawaii from there. A GREAT experience. The FBO we used was ?????????? and the instructor was ???????????????.

We took an instructor the 1st day, then flew the rest of the time by ourselves. I strongly recommend that, as Honolulu has defined departures and arrivals that are based on local landmarks (golf courses, highways, manufacturing plants, bays, volcanoes, etc..) and, if you are not familar with them, you will not be able to fly them. Also, because of the nature of the islands and all the sightseeing air traffic, there are special frequencies, beyond what you might be use to, that are used for air-to-air traffic. Finally, their requirements (similar to requirements elsewhere across Hawaii) are such that the alternative to taking the instructor with is just as expensive as one, and not as beneficial. Ground school, extensive practical checkout, etc..

I'm in a rush right now, but email me and I can suggest some excellent materials that you will want to secure and take with you (and study ahead of time). I think I'm set up so that you get my email. If not, just post back to here and I'll get it.

We are flatlanders. This was the first time we flew mountains and water expanses. What a thrill!! You are in for an adventure of a lifetime!

Me Again

Dan, I had put question marks in as placeholders in my previous note, intending on filling them in when I got the information. By the time I finished the note, I was so excited, I forgot to fill them in. I will exchange with you when we email. Sorry!

Watch out, it's really expensive... I was looking it up for when we were out on our honeymoon beginning of the month, but the planes I saw were running for $150-200 an hour--plus instructor.

Back