What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Charlotte, NC RV'ers?

Dancer

Anyone flying RVs in the Charlotte area?

I'm looking to buy some land and build a home in the Charlotte area.

I'm interested in knowing what airports RV'ers recommend flying out of. Any private air strips? Any restrictions to building my own grass strip if I have a big enough piece of land?

Thanks,
Lance

Lincolnton

Although my dad flies out of Lake Norman Airpark (14A), he frequently flies over to Lincolnton (KIPJ) for cheaper fuel. He also tells me there is an active EAA chapter with several members owning/building RVs.

Lance,

As for which fly-in community you should look at; Long Island (NC26 & my favorite), Lake Norman (14A), Aero Plantation (NC21), Gold Hill and a few others. There are a number of smaller airports such as Lincolon County (IPJ), Concord (JQF) and Wilgrove (8A6), Gastonia (AKH), and little 'ol Goose Creek (28A) where I'm based along with five or six other RV's. You can check them all out on http://skyvector.com/.

Hangar fees very depending on the location and amenities.

We also have a very active EAA chapter and there are other chapters in the surrounding communities (Rock Hill, SC, Salisbury, NC, Hickory, NC, etc.). EAA 309 has over 100 members, with 30+ flying projects, and another 30+ under construction.

Best of luck with your relocation,
Bill Repucci
President, EAA 309

PS. Rob, your dad is a very nice guy!

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks Bill,
He is indeed. I'll tell him we "met" in this forum. I've been telling him to log on to this fabulous site for awhile now.
v/r

Bill,

When you say "We also have a very active EAA chapter" and "EAA 309 has over 100 members, with 30+ flying projects, and another 30+ under construction" are you refering to Goose Creek (28A)?
If so, that is very impressive.

Lance

No, 309 does not have a "home". All those projects are in various people's home, shops, and hangars.

We are currently looking to build a chapter hangar; we have the funds, just not a location.

The chapter covers all of the Charlotte area and brings people in from all sides of town. Once a month we meet for dinner or a project visit at different locations. If you will be in town on November 10th, we are going to have a fly-in at IPJ, come and join us.

In the Mid 90's we built a 6A by working one night a month. When we completed the airframe, we eBay'ed it as a fund raiser. That project really kicked off a building boom w/in the chapter.

BTW, there is a good chance two or three new planes will fly before the end of the year.

Bill,

How long does it take you to drive to Goose Creek from Huntersville?

Lance

Much to long! About 45 mintues but ...

The ground lease is only $90/mth and like I said, there are a bunch of other RV's there.

They will let you build your own hangar, there if you want, all you will have to pay is the ground lease. My hangar is a bit of a shack but for the price, it was worth it.

Sent you a email.

Anything going on around Andrews-Murphy? Spend time up there a few times a year and flew into there before I had my 6A. Would like to spend more time..

Back