What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

My experience with www.Weathermeister.com

AX-O

Well Known Member
I know Weathermeister has been discussed here once before a few months ago. I just wanted to tell everyone about my experience.

I am heavily involved with flight-testing. I just returned from a very compressed/intense 3-week test period. We were flying 4 to 6 test events during day and night conditions. During the 3 weeks of testing I exclusively used Weathermeister.com to gather and brief Notams/TFR/weather conditions. Every single piece of information that was necessary to brief the aircrew was easily available. I showed the information to the guys and how easy it was to collect. They were amazed. I told them all the information was collected in one website. No need to use multiple sources. During the 3 weeks of testing, time was very valuable. Being able to get the correct information in minimum time was awesome! Once we completed all the testing, I was told to plan our route back home (avoiding any TFR due to the California fires). I quickly planned the flight back home using Weathermeister. The route had us going over 2 TFRs. Once the TFRs were shown on the map, I made some corrections in order to avoid the areas.

As a professional conducting flight test, I am asked to evaluate systems and find problems. It is very rare that we actually talk about things that are working well or make our life easier. I am taking the time to say Weathermeister works well and kept us safe while conducting a very compressed test schedule. If you have a chance, go check them out.

Agreed!

I've been using WM for over a year now, and thin kit is an incredible job of integration. Dan told me he's working on stuff to make it even better. I have a lot of excellent weather information systems available to me in my job, and depend on accurate information and having the "big picture", and I invariably go to WM to get my brief before the "official" briefs begin.....great product!

Paul

WM has been updated to provide additional functionality for mobile browsers (e.g., Blackberry). I can get textual information (METARs, TAF, PIREPS) for locations, routes, etc. It knows the same locations that I have in the "full" weathermeister webpages. No graphics on the mobile version, but that's fine - the graphics always seem to be buggy on mobile browsers.

Worth every $$.

(Hopefully Dan won't see this as a reason to raise the price :D )

TODR

Ditto. I'm supposed to be teaching students how to use DUAT -- and I do. But it's hard to convince them of its worth when they always see me using Weathermeister. The notams section alone is worth the price of admission. Have you seen the God-forsaken size of a DUAT briefing when you ask for all the notams? IIRC Dan said translating notams took more coding than anything else.

Anyway, it's the only aviation weather site I've ever seen which looks like it belongs in the 21st century.

--Ron

Back