What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

'05 Idaho Update (from Doug)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
Hey gang,

We're all here and having a great time. 9.25 hrs from DFW to Johnson Creek. Smooth whole way. Breakfast at Big Creek this morning and now at McCall for fuel then back to JC.

Having a blast and taking lots of pics.

See you Fridayish.

Best,

Doug--

Would definitely be interested in the field conditions at both Johnson Creek and Big Creek. They are favorites of mine, but never flew into them in an RV. How do you think the RVs as a whole did? Any issues? I assume each of those fields are pretty dry this time of year (especially this year). My RV will (hopefully) fly into them on a regular basis, so your thoughts are appreciated. Have fun with the rest of your trip.

Steve

Steve...

I too, hope to buzz up there to Johnson Creek at some point. As far as conditions, I think you are right...this photo appears to show a sprinkler system irrigating the runway! Oh, and you just knew I would throw this in, but...all the RV's in the photo have tailwheels :D :D

airport9lp.jpg

Sprinklers, say it isn't so

I was bit blown away by seeing sprinklers there. I've never been there but I would have never guessed that one. A bit disapointed in a way. It still looks like a great place to fly to. Maybe later this summer. About the non A planes (no flames please) but I've flown into much worse fields that that in my 9A. I've got the scratches on the plane to prove it. :D Learning to fly in the Texas Big Bend you see runways a bit different.

Last edited:
Cam..

Oh, I was just joshing Steve a little bit about the -9 versus -9A debate....as I have done in about 20 other posts :D

He is having one heck of a time deciding which model to go with, as many others do as well.

As far as the -(anything) versus -(anything A) debate, I love them both! I just chose a t/w version for whatever reasons. They are all great in my opinion, as long as they begin with RV.

Oh, and learning to fly here in Texas, you've probably dodged your fair share of wildlife on the remote runways I bet? A friend of mine flys out of a strip in San Angelo (west Texas) and they had to put an 8' game-proof fence around the runway just to keep the deer off of it!

Take care,

I know Gary. :D

I know a guy with a Rocket and whenever I see him I take a serious beating over the nose wheel, so nothing really bothers me, but I will poke back for fun.

Cam

Sprinklerphobia

Yes! It is so! Johnson Creek is irrigated. That's why the grass remains green and lush through Labor Day. There are two parallel lines full length of the strip. Nothing's above ground when the sprinklers aren't set. The caretaker plugs in the spray heads along one line, then sets cones for the blind third-class medical types. There's over 100 feet between spinners and spray disc in the picture posted. When most (if not all) aircraft have vacated the tie downs, the other side of the strip is irrigated, excluding where the rare won't/can't-move aircraft may linger. Sprinkling is confined to low traffic weekdays. Plenty of room for operations in all instances.

Smiley Creek, 71 miles southeast at the headwaters of the Salmon River, is maintained the same way.

AND, two other RVs were at Johnson Ck to greet VAF. Both taildraggers. :D

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Last edited:
Back