What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder pedal height?

mgomez

Well Known Member
I did a test fit of my rudder and brake pedals in the fuselage today. I don't have seats yet, so I used styrofoam cushions I built up -- whose thickness is probably not the same as the real seat cushions.

I found that the rudder pedals were too far above the floor for my taste. My heels would have to rise well above the floor to use the toe brakes. Has anybody tried to mount the rudder blocks below the fuselage stiffener, rather than above as the plans show? That would lower them enough to be more comfortable, I think.

Or should I just get used to it, or wait until I have the "real" cushions before modifying things?

Thanks!

You really don't want the rudder pedals too low. By having your feet low and pushing on the rudder pedal bar with the ball of your feet, it keeps you from inadvertently applying your toe brakes. When you want brakes, move your feet up and put the arch on the bar and then you can apply brakes pointing your toes forward.

I have an AL plate below the pedals (on the carpet) so my heels slide better during takeoff rolls and applying rudder control. With the brake pedals tipped slightly forward, it is difficult to accidently apply brakes. During ground manuevering, I just move my feet up with the arch on the bar and toe brake at will.

With the pedals up in the normal position, you can rest your feet below them on long flights.

It might be best to have the actual cushions before mounting the pedals. Just a small change in position really makes a difference.

Hope this helps,

Roberta

Back