What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spark Plug Cleaning and Testing

pdebellis

I'm New Here
Has anyone ever seen the the following tools in action?

1) Autolite Aviation Spark Plug Cleaner and Tester

2) Model 2600A Vibrator Cleaner

I've looked all over the internet for reviews or even a
description of how they work. Nothing. Any feedback
would be great.

Peter DeBellis
RV-10
KSNA

Cleaning plugs

I am not familiar with those brands but there are two basic plug cleaning tools.

A sand blaster cleans off the carbon. I use mine once a year at annual time. It also wears the electrodes, so use it sparingly. The vibrator is for cleaning out lead deposits deep in the plug well. My engine (0-290) historically has not lead fouled its plugs and I have gone years without using the plug vibrator. However, I recently changed to Autolite and it appears that these plugs lead foul more than Champions. I fight this by leaning on the ground all the time, to the point that the engine will barely run. This seems to help.

As far as plug testers go, the idea is that shop air pressurizes a chamber into which the spark plug has been threaded. A window allows you to see if the plug fires when high voltage is applied. A plug that fires at ambient pressure may not perform under high pressure, hence the need for pressurization. It takes more voltage to fire a plug under pressure and a cracked porcelain insulator can cause the plug to short out and misfire under pressure. These pressure testers are very expensive, over a grand, so I use my mechanic's tester if I need one, which is a very rare event. The tester incorporates a sand blasting plug cleaner in the same box, but the tester and the cleaner are otherwise completely separate from each other. I bought my sand blaster years ago at an auto parts store (cheap)and I am still using the same sand. I bought a Champion vibrator tool ($$) when I owned an airplane that reallly lead fouled its plugs. There is a cheaper alternative: an electric vibrating marking pencil that has the plug cleaning probe fastened to the marking point. They aren't as good as the Champion but good enough, I think, for most of us amateurs, considering the price.

You might know all this already, but I know that a lot of new guys are lurking here and they might find the above instructive. Good luck.

cleaning plugs

Pete,
I used Hopps #9 gun solvent and an old toothbrush to clean my plugs and it worked great. You can find it at most any place selling firearms or sporting goods and is much cheaper.

Glenn Wilkinson

Back