What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dan Lloyd/Eggenfellner First RV-10 Alt to Fly?

Steve A

Well Known Member
A few months ago, T Sweezy was asked if he was going to the first RV 10 with an alternate engine (not an Lycoming or clone). I am assuming that the Subaru Turbo owned by Dan Lloyd has captured that distinction.

However there may be someone somewhere with a Allison V 12 in there RV 10 so I thought I would throw this out.

Allison V 12 Engine

Again my memory is shakey on this but wasn't the Allison a copy of the Packard 12 used first in auto's. WWII came along and an engine was needed proto to put into the Mustang. The Mustang was originally commissioned by the British before the US entered the war. They needed something good, fast and over there fast. And what a wonderful airplane, even more amazing is the design was done in record time.

If I am incorrect on the origin of the Allison, I stand corrected. It would be the first time I was corrected on this forum, or is it the fortieth time, I forget.

The Allison V12 was developed in the early 1930s so it was fairly mature by the time it was fitted into the P51. The engine came well before the airframe.

Allison was acquired by GM around the same time.

Packard built the Merlin

Again my memory is shakey on this but wasn't the Allison a copy of the Packard 12 used first in auto's. WWII came along and an engine was needed proto to put into the Mustang. The Mustang was originally commissioned by the British before the US entered the war. They needed something good, fast and over there fast. And what a wonderful airplane, even more amazing is the design was done in record time.

If I am incorrect on the origin of the Allison, I stand corrected. It would be the first time I was corrected on this forum, or is it the fortieth time, I forget.

Packard Built the Merlin under wartime license. They were excellent engines too, as the "Packard Merlin" was a favorite among the pilots. I believe they built some Pratts too. They really didn't fare well when converting back after the war. They shortly failed. Too bad as they built fine cars.

Bill

Back