What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ICOM A210 as base radio?

RVG8tor

Well Known Member
I am a a year or so away from needing the A210 I am getting thru the group Capt John set up (Thanks CJ). I want to set up the radio in my shop so I can keep tabs on the local traffic and talk with buddies as they fly around. What would be the best way to do this. I remember as a kid using a AC-DC transformer to run a car CB radio in my room. I am thinking I could get most of the items I would need for this from Radio shack. I would also need to design a good antenna to mount on the house or in the yard. Any suggestions from those who have done this or pointers to a resource I can check out would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Don't let the group buy on the A210 pass you by, call today!

Cheers

First, I think you would need a fixed station license to be legal
to transmit with the radio. I don't know how portables get by,
maybe because of lower transmit power.

With that said, I used a Radio Shack 25 amp filtered power supply
to power my panel while building. The radio worked fine.
A 2' square ground plane with my comm antenna mounted in the
middle worked O.K. until I mounted the antenna on the airframe.
Tom

Astron (or other brand) 10A 12V power supply should work fine. Check ham swap meets or other places where ham radio ops are known to hang out.

I'd recommend a 1/2 wave antenna - this doesn't need a ground plane and can easily mount to the side of the house, etc. A 5/8 wave would work but needs a better ground plane. I had one of these from Larson Antennas in Vancouver, WA (I lived in Portland at the time) and it worked fine. Small, discreet, and portable in case you needed to use it on the go (I had a 1/2 wave mounted on the back rack of my bicycle for mobile ham radio work).

Model BSA132B is a complete 5/8 wave whip with a post mount and included ground plane radials:
BSA132B_web.jpg

Alternatively, you can get a 1/2 wave that doesn't need a ground plane. Call 'em at 800-antenna.

Use some RG-58 coax in between and you're in business. Make sure that the antenna is clear of other electronics - Remember that aircraft radios are AM and generate more interference than FM radios.

TODR

You are welcome!

Did you see the accessories for the A-210?

They offer a base station "kit" per se.

It has everything you need to do what you want.

Google it up.

:) CJ

Back