What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Riveting HS Skin Question?

RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
I am finally getting ready to start riveting my HS. I noticed the plans have 10 rivets X'ed out on the top of the skins stating to leave these holes open for the Emp Fairing, however the instructions make no mention of them.

Do I understand the plans correctly... I am NOT to rivet those holes???

Thanks,

These are definitely where the fairing attaches. I'm not nearly to that point yet, but I left those rivets out of my HS. The worst that could come from leaving those rivets out is that you'll have to put them in later down the road. And that'd be no big deal, much better than drilling ou rivets anyways. Look at your preview plans drawing 44, and you'll see the attachment. I think you end up drilling more holes and installing nutplates there...

Thanks! Next question...

I dimpled the ribs (404 & 405) containing the holes in question, but I haven't dimpled the skin yet... should I dimple them (holes in the skin) or leave 'em flat?

Happy 4th of July!

Well, here is where I come clean... I installed those rivets!

Yes, yes... I know. I AM AN IDIOT!

:D

The way I seem to recall things is to drill them out later to #6 screw clearance size. If this is the case, just leave it. The fairings will bolt up to the nutplates under the skin without dimples.

Can anyone confirm this?

:rolleyes: CJ

The fairing is thick enough to countersink, so you don't need to dimple the skin where the screws go. If you riveted the holes, just leave it and make new holes. It does not matter if where you locate the holes, that much. Some people like to use less holes, some use more. Use tinnerman washers wherever you fasten your fiberglass parts to reinforce them and keep screws from pulling through.

Roberta

I'm in the fairing install phase right now and was not told to leave the rivets out (antique plans I guess), so I'm drilling them out. My first thought was to leave the rivets where they are and place the nutplates elsewhere, but it actually works out better to drill them out. It turns out that the flutes I put in the root ribs don't leave all that many good locations for the nutplates so the existing rivet locations are the best spot. Drilling em out to #6 and installing nutplates is working out perfectly. A strap duplicator is a very nice tool to have for this.

Steve Zicree

Here is a pic of Rick's -6A from another thread.

It shows the tinnerman washers that Roberta spoke of.

30wb1uo.jpg

I would say that this dead horse is now sufficiently beaten!

;) CJ

zsadecki said:
Strap duplicator? Is that the little nutplate drilling guide tool?

I think it is a sex toy!!!

:eek:

Hahahaha, actually, it is a tool that reflects an underlying hole onto a top layer.

They are all over ebay. Do a search for them.

;) CJ

Yep.. very neat tool. I just never paid attention to it in the Avery catalog. I can see that it's definitely worth the $15 or so that they cost... It's truely amazing to me how many tools are available for building these planes. (And how much it would all add up to $$$!)

H/S fairing nutplates

Hi all, I couldn't find where my plans said to leave those rivets out - anyway, I have rivets in all the holes. I'm wondering if it isn't easier to drill new holes and install nutplates now, while the stab is lying on my workbench, rather than waiting until it is installed on the airplane?

Thanks,
Don Owens

I'd wait. It's easy to bolt and unbolt the stab and my policy is to never drill anything until I have to; you can't undrill a hole :rolleyes:

Steve Zicree

Back