What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old question but hey... I'm Old

pczar3

Well Known Member
Patron
While working on the wiring for my 6A I realized that there is a raised section in the sub panel that looks like the lightening holes for the ribs etc. that I had not cut out. Can this one be cut too? It is the one on the Pilots side sub-panel (first bulkhead forward of the panel) on a 6A slider.
Thanks, Paul

N694BP reserved

Let's try this again - Lightening holes

Are we supposed to cut lightening holes in the subpanel on the 6A slider? While I was working away I realized I hadn't cut them.
Thanks, Paul

N694BP reserved

Not on SC-3 drawing

Are we supposed to cut lightening holes in the subpanel on the 6A slider? While I was working away I realized I hadn't cut them.
Thanks, Paul

N694BP reserved

No holes shown on my copy of drawing SC-3 - which is at revision R7.

I presume it is the F-6105 part you are referring to...

However, it does get cut outs for long gyros, instruments and avionics....:)

gil

While working on the wiring for my 6A I realized that there is a raised section in the sub panel that looks like the lightening holes for the ribs etc. that I had not cut out. Can this one be cut too? It is the one on the Pilots side sub-panel (first bulkhead forward of the panel) on a 6A slider.
Thanks, Paul

N694BP reserved
Paul,

I believe those raised sections are not really defining potential lightening holes but rather are pressed into the subpanel to enhance its overall strength.

Cut parts of the subpanel away for clearance purposes as required. For instance, my Garmin 430 required the only cutout needed thru the subpanel.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies

I am actually at the point where I have stuck a HSI through and reinforced it with angles and similar things. What I was thinking about is it is really going to be a bear to get at anything under there with the cowling on and having a hole to put your hand through might help. I built my panel in sections and have things arranged so I can remove the flight instrument side from the front without crawling under. It is the things forward of the sub panel that makes me wonder if there is a better way.
Thanks again.

Paul
N694BP reserved

Back