What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Paint Color Code Question- Petty Blue

tinman

Well Known Member
I am trying to locate a color code for a limited edition Petty Blue 1970 Superbird. I have seen the code listed as "Special Code 999" in a couple of places. Could a paint shop mix up a batch based on that code?
Thanks
Don

Hi Don,

I've recently spent a bunch of time at a paint shop working on the paint for my Midget Mustang. What I discovered is that it's possible to do a really great job matching paint with nothing more than 300 possible selections of blue, or silver, or green, or whatever and your eyeballs!

In fact, it was common for the painter to start with a paint code that supposedly matched a particular part and then have to tint it one way or the other to make it match perfectly. I always assumed that color matching is done with some sort of computer sensor--and maybe it is at more sophisticated shops--but I was truly amazed at how well the painter could get things to match just by visual comparison.

I'd suggest that the best way to get a darned near perfect match might be to take a part of the car to the paint shop of your choice and ask them to do a color match. Be sure they're selling the brand/system of paint you're planning to use or you'll end up going through the process again.

For what it's worth...

Rod Woodard
Loveland, Colorado (KFNL)
Midget Mustang in progress
RV-8 #81964 on hold for now

Back