What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

MAY DAY!!! Need Hartzel BA Prop!!!

Jetj01

Well Known Member
Can anyone help this pohhhhh boy???

My friend Paul Bonner just bought a beautiful RV-4 in California yesterday. While ferrying it home yesterday and at a fuel stop at Falcon Field (FFZ), Mesa, Arizona, he had a prop strike while taxiing from the fuel pump to parking......

Paul is a childrens dentist in Texas and NEEDS to get home. The engine has mic'ed good but the prop is beyond repair.

Is there anyone out there who can part with their Hartzel Blended Airfoil 72 inch (he'll take a 74 in if last resort) and he will order you a NEW Hartzel prop. The delivery time is 8 weeks. If you can stand the delay, HE CAN'T, please call asap either myself or Paul. The RV-4 is sitting in a hanger at Falcon field awaiting a prop and he is waiting, hopefully to hear from one of us soon.

Paul's number is: 940 642 2568

My number is: 940-613-2797

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Good luck, turn and spit

Ouch sorry to hear, but could he put any prop on to get home as a loner yes? Just a suggestion, does it have to be a BA? May be you can get a loaner prop to get home, like a HC-C2YK/F7666. Than he can ship it back. Just a thought. May be he can take commercial home and leave it, come back later...... Good luck. If you where at Glendale I may have been able to get you a temp hanger, but sorry no prop to loan.

Prop strike consequences!

You and your friend should check out this thread:
http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=19503
I recently had a friend who had a prop strike which damaged the CS prop beyond repair. While the engine looked OK, and the strike was on dirt, upon tiredown, it was discovered the crank was cracked. This on a new Lycoming with only about 400 hrs.
From your description, although not convenient, taking her home in a trailer for further evalution would be the most prudent thing to do. You've got to ask, Is it really worth taking the chance??

Thanks for all the calls!

Got the situation under control! Thanks everyone for all the calls and help. Especially to the DHL pilot who even offered to DHL his 74" Hartzell if we needed it...very cool and not forgotten!

Great site!

Thanks again!

John,

Thanks for the kind hanger offer. As it turned out got the AD check quite quickly, fitted a wood prop I had hanging in my home in TX and ferried the -4 to the airport where the extensive engine tear down will occur. ALSO ordered the tall gear mod and ordered a new prop that is two inches shorter which will all be installed/fitted before the long flight to TX.....all should help!

Thanks again everyone that offered assistance. As I've always said, in general, airplane people are great people!

Back