What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Formation Flying Manual

Marc DeGirolamo

Well Known Member
A couple of us flying RV-4's are wanting to do some formation flying.
Just wondering if there is a .pdf file of the T-34 manual/RV addendum available for download on this site ??

You don't mention your background, perhaps this doesn't apply to you but for anyone else out there that might be thinking about it.....

Do not teach yourself formation flying by reading a book. Get an instructor that knows what they are doing.

I'm still learning new stuff about formation after flying formation for the last 23 years.

Slow learner I guess. :rolleyes:

A couple of us flying RV-4's are wanting to do some formation flying.
Just wondering if there is a .pdf file of the T-34 manual/RV addendum available for download on this site ??

This manual is now out of production. It is going through a national review process within many organizations. The new manual is far more thurough. I do not know when it is due out but the draft which I have reviewed looks real good. The T-34 manual that is now out of date is very superficial. The Docs in the Team RV gallery will provide you with much more detail.

Best,

Formation manual

[
You don't mention your background, perhaps this doesn't apply to you but for anyone else out there that might be thinking about it.....

Do not teach yourself formation flying by reading a book. Get an instructor that knows what they are doing.

I'm still learning new stuff about formation after flying formation for the last 23 years.

Slow learner I guess. :rolleyes:

This manual is now out of production. It is going through a national review process within many organizations. The new manual is far more thurough. I do not know when it is due out but the draft which I have reviewed looks real good. The T-34 manual that is now out of date is very superficial. The Docs in the Team RV gallery will provide you with much more detail.

Best,

thanks for the replies......Yes I have taken some formation training and want to learn more, now that I have another RV to fly with...thus the need for 'thuh book' :D. I will have a look on the Team RV website for information....thanks

RV Supplement to the T-34 Manual

The current T-34 Formation Flight Manual, as mentioned, is light. The National Formation Manual in draft is out for review. It is much more complete. For RV specific procedures and techniques, download the RV Supplement. On Vanairforce.net, go to downloads, and you can download the supplement from there.

Formation Manuals

The current T-34 Formation Flight Manual, as mentioned, is light. The National Formation Manual in draft is out for review. It is much more complete. For RV specific procedures and techniques, download the RV Supplement.

Stu...
I have the following so far....
- Team RV Formation training guide (Is this one specific to Team RV..??)
- RV Supplement 1st Edition to T-34 manual
- FFI Manual (standards)
- I'll get (thuh book) when the latest edition is available

As I understand it everyone who flies formation uses these for training to the same standards.....Is it safe to say that all RV flights use these?

RV Supplement

Stu...
I have the following so far....
- Team RV Formation training guide (Is this one specific to Team RV..??)
- RV Supplement 1st Edition to T-34 manual
- FFI Manual (standards)

As I understand it everyone who flies formation uses these for training to the same standards.....Is it safe to say that all RV flights use these?

It is safe to assume that anyone who has an FFI card or who aspires to one has memorized and flies by the RV Supplement, as it is the basis for the evaluation. There are some others who are flying formation who may not be using the RV Supplement, but who in my mind should.

That's what a bunch of folks have been saying for over a year now. I look forward to the National Formation Manual making its public entrance (I've seen it and it puts the T-34 manual to shame). But until then...imho, if you want to get started NOW you may as well just bite the bullet and snag the T-34 manual.

It's available in PDF downloadable form for $9.95 from http://www.t-34.com/store/merchandise_manuals.asp You call the order in, and later that day they send you a download link.

It's "throwing away 10 bucks" in some respects, but again, if you want to start ramping up NOW then it's probably a good way to go.

Marc, try before you buy!

Marc,

I'm in Saskatoon this week, and I have the FFM and two VHS tapes.

Back