What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Attaching canopy - screws or SikaFlex?

Scott Will

Well Known Member
Hopefully soon I'll be getting around to attaching the canopy. Just wondering what everyone's current thoughts are - glue or screws? I'm doing a tip-up and the only person read about doing a tip up with SikaFlex still had screws along the side rails.

What do you think is the best option out there. Cracks in the windshield are not an option.

SikaFlex is good

The guy that turned me on to the SikaFlex has a RV6 slider. He glued his about 8 years ago, and it's still perfect. I think with a tip-up using glue would make even more sense, since it seems like there would be more loads on the frame than with the slider. Also, the slight flex of the sikaflex would probably greatly reduce the risk of cracks.

I've got a series of six articles and pictures on my website documenting my experience, starting with this one:

http://www.rv8.ch/article.php?story=20050614184749626

Bottom line is that I'm really happy with the results.

(click for larger image)

When I fit my canopy, I made sure the leading edge was as closely fitting to the skin as possible, then I beveled the edge so that I needed very little filler to smooth out the transition. The leading edge was then set on a thin bed of Super Fil. I used two lays of 9 oz. 2" strips and epoxy resin to glass in the LE of the canopy. These were staggered about 1/2" to keep the edges thin. Once cured, I placed about 6 pop rivets through the fiberglass and into the skin, next to but not into the plexiglass. Then SuperFil was used to fill in and smooth ot the joint. Finally, an autobody glazing putty was used to finish it off before primer and paint. Very little filler was used and this allows the fiberglass to flex with the canopy and frame. I only used enough to fill in the weave of the cloth and smooth the edges. No cracks in over a year and a have of use. Using too much filler will make the connection stiff and will develop cracks.

Roberta

rvgrin0ui.jpg

Fullers Ultra Clrear

I filled and sanded the roll bar smooth to reduce the risk of cracking from undulations and rivet heads. I then wanted to use an ahesive, but a clear one as I did not want to paint the canopy over the roll bar (tip Up). A mate used Sika Flex, but it was black. In the State you can buy a clear adhesive called Lexel, but I live in Australia -Down Under and could not obtain any from, Sashco. http://www.sashcosealants.com/home_improvement/products/lexel.shtml.

So I used Fullers Ultra Clear which is compatible with both acrylic and Aluminium.
Like Roberta's, it hasn't cracked.... but it has flown yet, either.

Pete.

Back