What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

FIRST FLIGHT PLAN ? Comments are welcome

MrNomad

Well Known Member
FIRST FLIGHT PLAN ? Comments are welcome

My RV9A quick build has never been flown and the O-360 engine is also brand new (not a rebuild). It?s a SUPERIOR kit we built in the shop. We ran the engine a couple of weeks ago and had no issues other than adjustments. It started instantly and ran perfectly.

The Lycoming manual suggests 1-2 hours for break in on initial use, but (generally speaking) pilots spend only 15-20 minutes on first flight. They usually land, check out the airplane, and go again if all looks good.

So how do we follow the Lycoming 1-2 hour break in procedure while paying heed to safety concerns?

Obviously, safety is first but I have 200 hours in a C150, will receive training in a 6, plus I?ve flown right seat in four RV9s. Right now I?m practicing landings (in the 150) by trying to keep the airplane off the runway by as little as 3 inches in deference to the weaker 9A front gear (or so I?ve been told).

Our 9 has been examined and rechecked by lots of experts. I will wait for the perfect windless day in Coolidge AZ when there is very little traffic. The plan is to fly the 9A, circling the three runways (a big triangle) for 15 or 20 minutes paying heed to all systems on the Dynon 100 & 180, particularly oil temps and pressures, following the procedures for new airplanes. A friend will probably fly nearby and keep in comm.

If all goes well during the first 15 minutes, I'd like to continue & complete the 1-2 hour break in cycle at 75% power waiting for the initial temps to drop.

If I decide to extend the size of the circle, this part of AZ has 4 airports within 10-20 miles of one another. I'll never be very far from a runway at 75% power in a 9A with an O-360.

If everything does not seem OK with the airplane, obviously I?ll land but before landing I will do one stall so I know what speed NOT TO GO BELOW during landing.

After 16 months of working seven days a week on this plane I don?t want to break it (nor my useless old hide).

Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Barry

PS: Folks save sooooo much money buying parts on this free website, and we share sooooo much (life saving) information on this free website, it's criminal not to send Doug $25 each year and put his kids thru college.

Barry,

I did a first flight in February. I did about 1/2 hour, but I had an engine with 885 hours on it, so break in was no concern. These are just my thoughts, worth every penny you pay for them. Safety is #1, and I feel that takeoff to cruise altitude is the most important part of the flight. If you have temp problems, don't try for Flight Levels on your first takeoff. Climb out at a fairly high air speed. Don't reduce power until you can make the field, but don't put it off too long. That might mean a fairly tight pattern. The 9 is very easy to fly, even the first time.

Feel your way up with temps if you have to; reduced power and reduced climb with high enough airspeed to keep everything cool. 75% will get you to alt very quickly. Personally, if you are above the field or within gliding distance, I can't see why you need to cut the flight short. Again, I wouldn't wander off to another airport, no matter how close.

I took my transition in a 7, and my first landing in the 9 was WAY long. Plan for that. It isn't hard to slow down after you get used to it, but it may be at first. I did stalls on the 1st flight, but I can't say that is recommended.

Don't sweat the gear. Just don't drop the nose when you touch down. I misjudged an uphill runway today and touched down before I wanted. It's gonna happen. Keep the stick back on rollout and bleed off the flaps if you want. Works for me.

If things aren't right, forget the stall. Note your liftoff speed. Add about 15 or so, don't drop below that, and fly it down to the runway. You can bleed off speed there. If things aren't right, the last thing you want to be doing is doing a bunch of pitch and throttle changes. Get your butt on the ground.

Really go over everything. One "gotcha" I had was a blocked vent line (mud dabber in the line in the wing.) I now would blow through the vent in the bottom of the fuse to check that it is clear. I caught it before it caused a problem by watching the fuel pressure closely, as I did all the gauges.

Have fun. It is an unbelievable feeling to fly YOUR plane.

Bob Kelly

Engine break-in scenario is quite different from first flight needs. The 2 are not compatible. Engine needs to be run hard for first hour. Airplane should NOT be run hard during first flight.
Additional comment. DO NOT DO STALLS ON FIRST FLIGHT!
Slow flight till things start to get mushy. That's slow enough. Put off stalls until you are sure rigging is correct.

Good suggestions Bob.

Barry,

If things aren't right, forget the stall. Note your liftoff speed. Add about 15 or so, don't drop below that, and fly it down to the runway. You can bleed off speed there.
Bob Kelly

Thanks Bob. By waiting till the 9 leaves the ground w/o flaps I have a pretty good idea where stall will be.

Personally, going round and round the same airport for 2 hours at 75% power is going to be pretty hard but if I break this plane, the better half will not sit thru another 16 months and $$.

Thanks again.
Barry

Barry,

It sounds like you have your head in the right place. You'll do fine! My only suggestion is to keep your taxi duration short for that new engine.

Gil to the rescue

Barry,

It sounds like you have your head in the right place. You'll do fine! My only suggestion is to keep your taxi duration short for that new engine.

We plan to tow it out and then start it at the end of the runway. Local temps should still be in the high 60s.

I also hope Gil Alexander will be flying nearby in his Tiger looking for parts flying off or smoke. Of course, he probably cannot keep up with a 9A at 75% power.

Hahahahaha

That should motivate him to get rolling on his 6.

Barry
Tucson

Last edited:
Questions for the experts.

My 0360 Lycoming, purchased new; was run for one hour & 34 minutes in Lycoming's test cell. According to the test log, 39 minutes of that time, was at rpm's ranging from 2400 - 2750.

Obviously, this is going to have some effect on total additional breakin time, versus a new owner assembled engine................at least I'd think.

Any comments on this, from the experts out there? I'm not an expert regarding this....

And BTW, all four cylinders were pulled to check for a wrist pin AD several years after the engine was run. Would this effect piston ring seating? Engine hasn't been run since.

L.Adamson - RV6A

dynamically balanced prop for first flight?

I am starting to think through this first flight porocess now as well, so good timing on this thread.

Whirlwind says to have the prop dynamically balanced before flying. But if my engine is new, do I want to sped the time on the ground with the engine running to do this? Not sure how long it takes takes. What say you folks?

erich

Back