What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

A question to AvMap users

shiney

Well Known Member
I want to mount my AvMap in the centre of my panel in the portrait position but I've been told this would not be possible, also that the AvMap needs to go into a docking unit. Has anyone mounted it without the docking unit and has anyone mounted it in the portrait position?

You can mount the AV-MAP in any position and it will work just fine. You don't need the docking bracket. Save yourself some money and look at a previous posting of mine and you will see how to mount it. The mount you make will cost you nothing the parts are all in you scrap box.

Thanks Norman, can you help me a bit more before I post back to Affordable.

I had sent my initial plan to Affordable and Fabian replied to say that the AvMap would not fit vertically, especially if using a docking system. I'm not sure if this is becuase of the ribs behind the panel or becuase of the radio stack below the Avmap. How is your positioned, can you take a look at the position of mine and let me know what your comments are.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2...anelvaffk0.gif

many thanks

I wasn't able to see your picture. But I have mounted the AVMAP in the vertical position in an RV9 and RV7A. Of course both are the same instrument panel. It would be difficult to see the map if you mount it on the right side of the radio stack. I out the map on the left side almost directly in front of the pilot. Mind you I was installing a glass panel and not steam gages. The RV7 that I am building right now has the map horizontal to the left of the radio stack and right of a pair of GRT panels. You can also make an angle bracket fasten that to the panel and velcro the map to that. I have done that when the owner wants the map on the left side. Makes it easy to view when on the proper angle.

Have a look at my mounting method.

Have fun building

Thanks Norman, I've had a look at your thread and its v helpful. I was wanting to mount it central (above the radios) so I guess this is where the problem lies.

It would be difficult to see the map if you mount it on the right side of the radio stack.

I mounted my AvMap on the right of the radios, and the viewing angle is not a problem.

I was impressed at the quality of the off axis viewing, way better than I was expecting.

You can see my panel in the -10 forum on panels.

The angle viewing great I will agree with that but with the sun shining at the wrong angle you have to lean over to see it properly.

Mine is mounted to the right of the radio stack in portrait position and I have no problems seeing. At some angles, the sun makes it a little less readable, but I believe that would be the case wherever it was. It is never unreadable. I first had it angled toward the pilot but removed the angle device and put it flat as it was just simpler. I made a bracket that screws to the bottom lip of the instrument panel and has the bottom edge of the GPS flush with the bottom of the panel, so the top is still a few inches below the glare shield. The top is held in place by inserting the power input stud through a hole in a small tab and putting on the power cord. Works great and can be removed in 30 seconds.

Bob Kelly

Back