What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Altitude hold

Vince Koehn

Well Known Member
I am wanting to add in a altitude hold on my RV-6A. I am currenty using the Digitrak autopilot. What options do I have and what is the path of least resistance. I realize that I will have to add in the servo and such but am more looking at what equipment and where to buy.

Thanks.

Definately the way to go is the Altrak from Trutrak since you're already flying with the wing leveler.

Works well with your Digitrak (you can hook them together if you want). Just a note, I had mine wired together but they're wired together you have to use the AP's together, and I preferred to be able to use them separately, so I cut that wire.

Just added one to my RV6 about 2 months ago....it's GREAT!

Overall, you'll be REALLY happy you did it. Just an FYI, but if/when you're running the wiring or harness, make sure to run the extra wires for the soon to be released "VS" (vertical speed) addition to the Altrak.

Contact me off list for details or any questions.

Cheers,
Stein.

[ I had mine wired together but they're wired together you have to use the AP's together, and I preferred to be able to use them separately, so I cut that wire.]

Stein,
please explain the "wired together you have to use the AP's together comment?

I want the new:
ADI Pilot 2 - Pitch & Roll, Same features as above, PLUS Altitude Hold! - $3995
But I would like to be able to only use one ap feature without having to use the other....am I reading something wrong here??

thanks, Bob Martin

one power and one ground?

So if you are going to use the Altrak as a standalone altitude hold autopilot, you only need to route one power and one ground wire to the rear? Then you can split and route them to their respective pins in the Pitch Servo and Programmer module?

Doug
RV-7
the last 90%

Vince, if you go to the Trutrak site, you can find the install diagrams for the Altrak. They are under obsolete products.... and a bit hard to find.
They can also be found by simply doing a google search, as others have posted them.
I completed the install of the Altrak in my 9A a year after completion of the wing servo by Trio.
They work completely independently. The Trio is also not dependent on the ADAHRS in my GRT. So, from a safety standpoint, I like it.
When altitude hold is engaged and roll turned off.... it is fun to sight see and wander off course (the magenta line) while on long trips, without paying attention to altitude the whole time.
Good luck in your project. You can PM if you want any more first hand data.

Last edited:
Lucas, I was able to find additional drawings for the mechanical installation that were very helpful when I did the install. They are not part of the .pdf and I had to search hard on the internet. Any chance of them being linked together, to help future customers? (they were factory engineering sourced drawings)

Lucas, I was able to find additional drawings for the mechanical installation that were very helpful when I did the install. They are not part of the .pdf and I had to search hard on the internet. Any chance of them being linked together, to help future customers? (they were factory engineering sourced drawings)

Hmmmmm....Let me dig around on the server.

Back