What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Spark Plugs for Electronic Ignition

Bryan Wood

Well Known Member
A couple of days ago a friend told me about a spark plug option for use with electronic ignition. He uses a Jeff Rose system and said that these were recommended plugs and that he has used them from his first flight. Is there anybody with information or experience using these with the Lightspeed system? They are Autolite 386 and have the threads and depth of a standard aviation plug for the Lycs. This came up after mentioning that the sleeves that are required to adapt the Denso's or the Autolite BR8ES's always seem to come out with the plug when replacing them. I asked how he gets them in tight enough to prevent this when changing plugs and he told me about the 386's. He said they are basically tractor plugs and that they are a cold plug which is desired in a Lycoming. I'd love to remove those sleeves and throw them over my shoulder and never give them another thought. So, does anybody have experience with these plugs? They are supposed to be cheap like the BR8ES's at just over a buck or so a plug so a trip to Napa could very well be in the near future.

Thanks my fellow RV'ers,

This came up after mentioning that the sleeves that are required to adapt the Denso's or the Autolite BR8ES's always seem to come out with the plug when replacing them.

Hi Bryan,

You might want to call Klaus and ask about the sleeve coming out. I've never had that problem - I do remember something in the LSE instructions specifying comparatively lower torques for the auto plugs vs the inserts they plug into.

I really dig buying Denso's for a buck and change...

No experience with Lightspeed but over 1000 hrs on them with a Jeff Rose system. Exactly as described in your original post. I've never seen any wear in the 200 hrs or so between annuals. Too cheap to bother with cleaning them so I just replace once a year.

Back