What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 in NE Texas

boomer

Well Known Member
Does anyone have an RV-8 (non-Tall Pilot option) in the Metroplex (the farther east the better) that I could sit in ? I live about 75 miles northeast of Dallas and would like to drive in and take a few minutes of your time to see how I fit in your cockpit.

Last Sat. I went to the Paris, Tx Fly-in and there was an RV-8 there which I got to sit in. It had the tall cockpit option, which I found made the back seat too small and would like to sit in a normal seat to see how my 6'3 frame fits. I fit fine in the Tall Option, but the owner said that the seat was canted further aft, which I also really didn't like.

I'm pretty close to making the decision to build an RV-8 but need to sit in one before deciding.

Thanks.

-John

52F

John, if you can't find someone over in east Dallas come on over to 52F (just north of Grapevine lake). You can sit in Danny King's RV-8 (I have a key and permission).

b,
dr

Doug, thanks. If no one relpies by the end of the weekend, I'll take you up on that. Are you available during the week?

-John

John, if you can't find someone over in east Dallas come on over to 52F (just north of Grapevine lake). You can sit in Danny King's RV-8 (I have a key and permission).

b,
dr

Thanks for the warning. :) I think I have the finances under control, but who knows what the future brings. It's only money.

-John

Boomer,

Don't say I didn't warn you. My bank account hasn't been the same since!

Phil

RV-8 at 52F

My buddy and I will be at Grady O'Neal's paint shop on Saturday around noon to pick up the RV-8 we finished and Grady painted. We will also probably eat lunch at the airport cafe.

N742PZ has the tinted Todd's Canopy instead of the Van's canopy which in my opinion is lots better.

You are welcome to come over to 52F and sit in N742PZ before we take it back to Bertram. If you get there before we arrive just tell Grady I gave you permission.

b,
dr

Doug, I hate to piggy-back a 5+ year old request, but any chance you still have permission and access to Danny King's RV-8? I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the kit, but want to make sure I fit (I'm also 6'3" tall). My Dad lives in Southlake so I can swing by 52F pretty conveniently.

As a side note, I just started looking for someone who can get me recurrent. I have about 300 hours as a Private Pilot, but those are about 15 years old. Would you know of anyone at 52F who may fit the bill with access to a spam-can I can rent? Thanks in advance. Dave

Welcome to VAF!!!!

Dave, welcome to the good ship VAF:D

Good luck with the test fitting of the 8, sweet plane for sure.

Go see Jay at Hicks. Getting exposure to the entire process before building is priceless. I built two RV8's. When I built the first one about 12 years ago I met Jay and have since become good friends. Jay once called me his best non paying customer as I would visit his shop almost daily asking questions and looking at other builder projects. The exposure was priceless and Jay would probably agree with that.

Back