What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Grease your tailspring!

RV7Factory

Chief Obfuscation Officer
My tailwheel spring assembly had been sitting on the shelf for nine months, but today I finally needed it. I removed the bolt holding the spring in the mount, and removed the spring. To my surprise, this is what I found...

070915_001.jpg

Corrosion, yuk! I know steel rusts, but I say I was surprised only because I've been watching the tailwheel assembly for signs of corrosion, but none appeared on the outside. It took me an hour of scrubbing and sanding to remove it, and I gave it a coat of primer and paint. It wasn't a hard to deal with, but if you have your tailwheel assembly sitting around I suggest your disassemble it and grease/lube/protect the spring.

Last edited:
Question...

There appears to be a wax like grease on the tailwheel mount -- what is it? I would use oil or grease but they tend to run off after a while, especially when exposed to heat, so I am thinking this waxy stuff would be best.

Thanks.

PS - Bob you're welcome.

mysteries of corrosion....

Last Spring I removed the orginal (non-swivel) tailspring from my 17 year old RV4. Not a speck of rust. Go figure .... I can't :).

John

Back