What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

safety wire on a whirlwind 200RV prop?

erich weaver

Well Known Member
The manual is not in front of me but I dont remember seeing anything about installing safety wire on the prop bolts of the 200 RV prop. This prop uses large castle nuts on studs, and the studs have semi-permanant pins through them that engage the lugs on the castle nuts. So, when you tighten the nuts, you are actually tightening the studs. The pins are hollow, so its possible to thread safety wire through them, but the wire will contact part of the hub between any two adjacent castle nuts, so safety wire really doesnt seem feasible to me. Is my thinking on this correct or am I missing something?

thanks

erich

This sound identical to the situation with a Hartzell. Hartzell specifies safeting the bolts in pairs, running the safety wire through the hollow pins that connect the nuts to the studs. Hartzell doesn't say anything about protecting the hub where the safety wire would contact it. I asked about this on the RV-List - the majority of the respondents (including several private e-mails) said that I shouldn't worry about the safety wire damaging the hub. A small number of people said that they always slipped a small piece of nylon (or similar) hose over the safety wire to provide chafe protection to the hub. This is what I chose to do.

Yes

Yes you do safety wire them. I did mine in groups of two. I always keep a couple of extra roll pins (technical name: tension pins) around as well. I have sheared a couple of them when torquing the nuts. Easy fix if it happens.

Of course it never fails that the nut will be properly torqued with the opening on the roll pin buried in back, challenging your patiences and hemostats!!!!

The "anti-chafe" tubing is not required on the safety wire, but there have been occasions where the wire has worn into the hub flanges. When this happens, the hub is a throw away. There is no repair. I always recommend this.

Safetying Prop

Hi, I just read somewhere else that it is meant to be .040" safety wire also (I looked at mine today and it isn't!). The anti-chafe tube sounds like a great idea, thanks. The trick to inserting the wire when the roll pin is facing the wrong direction is to thread it before you tension the stud.

Back