What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Where to get spin RV spin training?

Nomex Maximus

Well Known Member
Hello all,

The thread on spinning a 9 got me to thinking that I'd like to get some spin training/experience in an RV. Does any CFI in the midwest offer this?

Thanks

NTM

Last edited:
Spin trainning in Souther California

I took an afternoon of spin training with Dennis Brown at Redlands California airport Sept. 7. It was really a good experience, except I have a weak stomach and couldn't take the G forces :eek:

I have never spun anything before, and hope I never spin my 9A, but wanted some experience just in case.

I would recommend Dennis. He is a nice guy and a good teacher.

Duane Wilson

Go spin another plane, RV type specific spin training not critical

Hello all,

The thread on spinning a 9 got me to thinking that I'd like to get some spin training/experience in an RV. Does any CFI in the midwest offer this?

Thanks John Babrick
I am guessing your not flying a RV yet? Have you done a lot of spins (or any) in your flying career? Have you flown a RV before or done aerobatics or stalls in a RV?

Can I suggest you just do your spin training in any plane avaiable, most likely a C152 aerobat or Citabria. Any typical spin trainer will do. Find a school that has acro training with an acro plane and chutes and do a few hours over several flight. (Keep the flights short, 20-30 min max)

I don't particularly like doing spins, but recovery in RV's, in the first 1-2 turns is pretty straight forward, let go of the controls. You have to HOLD Pro spin controls to even get it to spin. If you let a RV wrap-up (fully developed) recovery is not difficult. I encourage you to get the spin training, but not necessarily in a RV.

Many CFI's out at the local airport I suspect are not fans of doing spin training. Suggest you get instructors that knows how to do spins, wants to do spins, recently practiced doing spins, knows the plane they're spinning and wear chutes in a plane you can get out of.[/B] Treat it as acro, as you should. Find a place that teaches acro and do more than just spins. You may not want to do rolls and loops, but getting use to unusual attitudes may save you some day, like wake turbulence rolling you upside down. Don't worry about doing it in a RV specifically. Any plane will hone your skills. RV's fly nice and can do spins and recover just fine (if CG is in limits). You really want to do it right, find a Pitts or Extra.

RV's are not inherently spin prone or difficult to recover. The key to spin "knowledge" is DON'T STALL. You can't spin unless you stall. #2 RV's need PRO spin control inputs to get into a full spin. If you just let go of all the controls after a stall, it will not spin by it self; you have to force it with rudder. Recovery from "insipid" spins are pretty generic, stop the rotation (rudder) and break the stall (stick fwd). Van had a great artical in the RVator from a UK pilot who spun the RV-8 every which way and documented all different types of recovery techniques. It was excellent and worth a read.

Last edited:
Be very careful spinning the "side-by-side" RVs, especially the -6 with the early rudder. After 6 turns the -6 takes a full turn and a half to recover. Also the s-b-s airplanes spin very fast after the first couple of turns.
The -3, -4 and -8 are pretty tame. Van does not recommend over 1 to 1 1/2 turns in the s-b-s airplanes and I agree.

Thanks Mel

Hi Mel,
Do you have any experience with the later -6's that have the taller, counterweighted rudeder like mine?

Regards,

To answer George's question, no I have never spun an airplane. I had an instructor offer to show me once in a 172, but that got pushed aside as I was getting ready for my PPL checkride. FWIW, I don't believe I have any difficulty with motion sickness whatsoever. Even the half second of vertigo I once had when the airplane drops out from under me in a stall seems to be a thing of the past.

My motivation is to learn emergency procedures. Safe aerobatics with lots of altitude would be nice to know but only as a matter of being a proficient pilot. I have only had the two hours of training in a 7 two months ago. My recollection of the plane was that it was extremely easy to control, compared to a 172, and at this point in my flying experience I seem to do a pretty good job with a 172. I had considered going to California to get emergency maneuver training but that has not been practical so far.

forum is great

Slightly off topic, but I think this forum is great! Nomex Maximus you got three very experienced
People to give you spot on advice. I too think spin training is important. I sold my -7 and transitioned the new owner into the aircraft. Spins and spin recovery were demonstrated by me and performed my the student.

During the Phase 1 spin testing I was very happy with the -7. For a 1 turn spin it will recover exactly on command right or left. I did several tests to see how it did by itself, so I would kick it into a spin and let go of everything , it recovered by itself with in ? turn. I did not do this for multiple turns. Multiple turn spins the -7 seams like it does tighten up after the first 2, the decent rate after the first 2 is constant at more than 3000 ft/p (my VSI was pegged). Recovery did take ?-? turns.

Here are some of my observations.

Wight will increase the abruptness of the spin and the tightness of the spin.

Fuel imbalance of a ? tank or more will cause one direction to be vary docile and the other not to be.

Noel Simmons
CFI A&P
Builder of fine aircraft
www.blueskyaviation.net

Spin Training Recommendation

Nomex,

Suggest if you want to try spin training - try it along with upset and unusual attitude training in a Super Decathlon with a good acro instructor. It has benign spin characteristics and is highly predictable and does not wind up fast at all. Once you get the hang of it, doing spin training in the Super D is about as relaxing and therapeutic as shooting touch and goes in the calm winds at dusk.

Spin training is one of those bacon savers to keep in your back pocket. It is more than just knowing the procedures and eventually you can learn to recover with minimal altitude loss and recover exactly where you want it to pull out of the spin.

Rob

Really?

Be very careful spinning the "side-by-side" RVs, especially the -6 with the early rudder. After 6 turns the -6 takes a full turn and a half to recover. Also the s-b-s airplanes spin very fast after the first couple of turns.
The -3, -4 and -8 are pretty tame. Van does not recommend over 1 to 1 1/2 turns in the s-b-s airplanes and I agree.

To be honest i think the SBS airplanes (OK I have a 7a with the big fin) are pretty spin resistant....I havent flown a 152 for a long time but if memeory serve correct I think they spin better than the 7a....which seems very tame to me.

As soon as I get my secondary lap belt installed I'll try the inverted spin...guaranteed THAT will be better than the 152...:)

Frank

Spins

Before I did anything aerobatic-wise in my Pitts, I ran out to see Steve Wolf in Oregon (Wingover aerobatics), and did a week of training with him in his S2B. This is one remarkable instructor that very well understands the learning curve of his students. I have really enjoyed my aerobatics after training with him, and recommend his instruction for any type of piloting work. BTW, Rob Brooks, I really like your paint job, and wonder if you would mind posting a few pictures of your beautiful RV-8.
Tom Navar
RV-8QB (on hold)
Pitts S2A
Cessna 180

Back