What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque Wrench

rowd

I'm New Here
Before I place an order for a torque wrench could someone please advise how much (or little) use it is likely to get in the construction of an RV ? eg) how many (approx) bolts need tightening to a specified torque?
The good quality wrenches are quite expensive & if it is likely to get only very limited use maybe I will try harder to 'borrow' one.
Thanks

torque wrench

You will need one. That simple. Look for one in inch pounds, 3/8 drive. You will find that you will spend much more on tools than think. Look at http://harborfreight.com/ for your torque wrench and many other tools. The quality is not always the best but at 1/5 or less of the cost of the best quality tools its worth a look.

Hi Rowd,

Im in Brisbane, if you can have a look at glenfords.com.au you can get one from them. They have a sale on the Sidchrome 3/8 for $189 Very nice ! or you can get from them also a cheaper one called a Fragram for about $100.
Avery sell a cheap one for about $65 USD, so if your going to get some tools from them just get that also. You MUST get it in the 20 - 200 inch lbs, not foot lbs.

jamie

Torque wrench

Whatever wrench you buy, you should calibrate it.

To calibrate it, the best way is a known weight at a known distance.

For example, make a mark 10" from the drive point on the handle. Hang a 5 pound weight at this point... you wrench should 'break' at 50 in-lb.

At 5 inches it should break at 25 inch pounds and so-on.

To get a calibrated weight... use a plastic jug of water. 8.33 lbs per gallon (US). You can figure out how many ounces you need for 5 lbs. Hang the jug with a loop of wire.

Then, make up a table and/or formula for torque correction and mark it on your torque wrench.

You will be very suprised how inaccurate they are!

Vern Little
RV-9A

I was able to purchase a new Snap-On for less than $200.00 on E-Bay. E-Bay is my tool solution. If it is Snap-On or Mac they have a no questions asked warranty and you can have it calibrated. If it is deffective they replace it.

Back