What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Subaru EG33 Twin Turbo

rv6ejguy

Well Known Member
I Just unpacked my RV-10 QB fuselage kit and took some preliminary measurements of the engine mount, nose gear strut and cowling. It looks like I can build a sub mount for the EG33 to bolt right up the the stock Lycoming mount. This will save a lot of time and trouble. Looks like there is decent room for the turbos and the turbo scavenge pump driven off one of the camshafts at the rear as well.

The central tunnel has plenty of room to route the coolant pipes to a belly mounted rad and there is almost 10 inches behind the mount tubing to place the intercoolers. Now I'm getting excited!

Im curious why you would want twin turbos? IMHO, the reason they are popular on autos is because they allow smaller units to reduce lag time (at low rpm). In an aircraft, they only add unneeded weight and complexity. A single (small) turbo is plenty for the mass flows/low boost pressures you will need.

Packaging the exhaust system and turbos on an opposed engine is the big reason. Weight wise, it's about a wash. The twin T4/T3 hybrids with integral wastegates is about the same as a single T61, longer header tubes, turbine outlet pipe and an external wastegate. Need to have the exhausts exit on either side of the belly scoop Lancair style as well, works out much better.

Last edited:
Back