What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Tailwheel for RV-6

49clipper

Well Known Member
Where can I get a good full swiveling tailwheel for an RV-6? I need one in the next week or so. The original from van's is junk (due to the fact it does not swivel at all). I looked on there website, but they only list a conversion of some sore which does not include the axle, wheel, or chains. don't they sell a complete tailwheel?

Jim, search tailwheel in advanced search mode, six pages of discussion on alternative wheels. I'll look for a source for the pins in the morning.

Larry

Thankyou, for the response SpruceMoose. I did look at that earlier, but my tailwheel spring is not straight like those fit. Mine has a 90 degree bend down towards the ground and then the tailwheel attaches. Can I just cut off my spring and add that tailwheel or does it also take a new rod.
49Clipper

You got me there. I'd give Vince Frazier a call, but my gut tells me you'll need a new tailwheel rod.

Retro full swivel

A quick search on Van's website reveals a retro kit for converting the older "bent down" tailwheel aircraft to "full swivel".

The part number shown: U FSTW-W/O SPRING at about $125

I have info and pics on my website about converting one of the old Vans bent springs to accept my tailwheel. Here's a little info:

1) You can buy a new spring, but then you have to match drill the hole in the weldment inside the fuselage. Or take your old spring and set it up in a mill and duplicate the exact placement of the old hole into the new spring. I'd do the mill setup.

2) You can remove the old spring and take it to a machine shop and turn the tailwheel end down to 0.635" to fit on of my tailwheels. It is best if you have my tailwheel in hand so your machinist can exactly match the needed dimension. Be sure to make a smooth transition from the cut area to the spring... no notches allowed.

Either technique works fine and aren't that hard to do. Using the old spring is cheaper since you already own it.

FWIW, I just got another batch of tailwheel forks finished. I try to always keep a dozen or more in stock. I also stock complete tailwheels, parts, tires, etc...

Thanks,
Vince Frazier
Screaming Eagle Graphics and Accessories, LLC
3965 Caborn Road
Mount Vernon, IN 47620
812-464-1839
http://vincesrocket.com/products.htm

vfrazier said:
1) You can buy a new spring, but then you have to match drill the hole in the weldment inside the fuselage.
The new spring you get from Vans aready has the holes predrilled in the front for the weldment and the two holes in the rear for the tailwheel assembly.
If you order a new one, see if they can ship you one that is not already predrilled.

Hmmm, that's good to know about the predrilled spring.

I ordered a new spring for a customer a few months ago, and it arrived undrilled. Go figure.

Vince

49clipper

thanks for all the responses. I am looking into the Vans unit and/or vince's. I will make a decision by tomorrow as I need to get it on. the inspector comes next week, so time is short.
Vince, I have a lathe so cutting down the original would not be a problem at all.

Back