What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cockpit Mirror

gvouga

Well Known Member
I designed a cockpit mirror mount for my RV-7.
https://imgur.com/a/FJsK5DV

It worked pretty well after a couple adjustments. Printed with PETG material and glued to 1/8" thick acrylic mirror that is cut to size.

I'm not printing/selling these things, but I'm happy to share the files if anyone is interested in printing one.

Greg

I'd love to have the file. I've been planning to make some mounts for my -6. Thanks.

3D Files..

It looks great.

I would like the file as well. Also would you mind sharing the source of the curved mirror?

I'll be happy to send the files. Just PM me your email address.

I bought the mirror material off Amazon. Search for "12 x 12 1/8” Acrylic Plastic Mirror Sheet with Finished Polished Edges by E.H.C (1)". It was about $14. I just cut it to the desired shape and sanded the edges. The mirror quality is great, I didn't see any distortion in the reflection.

I used E6000 cement (Home Depot) to glue the mirror to the mount, but I'm sure there are many other adhesive options that would work just as well.

Greg

Files Sent

I just sent the files to all who PM'd me. Let me know if you didn't receive them for some reason.

Thanks Greg. The large one fit perfectly on my -6 roll bar. What's the small version intended for? While I'm waiting on the mirrored acrylic from Amazon I used some blind spot mirrors I never got around to mounting. We'll see how they work. Thanks again.

Attachments

• 20221027_224821056_iOS.jpg
    20221027_224821056_iOS.jpg
    320.2 KB · Views: 287
  • 20221027_202326416_iOS.jpg
    20221027_202326416_iOS.jpg
    414.2 KB · Views: 259
  • 20221027_201458038_iOS.jpg
    20221027_201458038_iOS.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 232
Last edited:
Thanks Greg. The large one fit perfectly on my -6 roll bar. What's the small version intended for? While I'm waiting on the mirrored acrylic from Amazon I used some blind spot mirrors I never got around to mounting. We'll see how they work. Thanks again.

Hi Greg,

I haven't been online much lately, but I'm glad to see the mounts worked well. In case you haven't figured out the small one, it clamps onto the sliding canopy frame. I have toyed around with having the mirror mounted here since it gives slightly better visibility in flight. The downside is it moves with the canopy and is unusable during taxi if the canopy is open.

Greg

I created a mirror that works with either size mount, I don’t have the file to print the mount and only have one of each size from a friend. If anyone wants one of these mirrors cut I’d be happy to send them out to you for a nominal fee. They fit the radius of an RV8 perfectly. The acrylic I use is pretty expensive. I attached a pic of the mock up I made to see if it worked.

Attachments

• IMG_4574.jpg
    IMG_4574.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_4569.jpg
    IMG_4569.jpg
    262.7 KB · Views: 85
Last edited:
Back