What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-6(a) tank attach bracket modification

fehdxl

Well Known Member
Guru's,

I helped a friend pull his RV-6 fuel tank today because 23 hours into phase-I, it developed a leak. Found the leak and fixed that, but while it was apart an RV-8 builder stopped by and looked around and mentioned there was a revision to the attachment brackets.

He stated that rather than a hole in both the fuel tank bracket and the fuselage bracket; that the fuselage bracket should be a horizontal slot. The rationale is that with the slot, the brackets will still provide up/down support; but in the event of a crash, and the wing being pushed aft, that the tank would pull laterally outward from that slot allowing the tank (and wing) to pull free from the fuselage without rupturing the integral fuel tank...lesser chance of a fire with the tank in one piece. Sure, there is a supply/vent line, but those are relatively small leaks.

My friend is going to call Van's of course, but I thought I'd ask around here too. Any background that someone can share? What do the new RV-6 plans show? Does this make sense?

Thanks in advance for your time.

-Jim

P.S. Yes, it really was a friend. I can only wish I was 23 hours into Phase-I in my ten...that's a ways down the road.

I did it

Not sure where I read it, but I did read it.
It made sense to me.
I purchased my -6 but while working on the tank, I cut the slot.
Good Luck.

FWIW, you've described the RV-7 setup pretty much exactly.

20030102_bend_line.jpg

20030102_bracket_bolted.jpg

20030102_bolt_hole_drilled.jpg

RV-6 Drawing # 46 - Rev 9

dan said:
FWIW, you've described the RV-7 setup pretty much exactly.
Dan... the -6s are little different. The bracket lengths are quite different due to the smaller wing/fuse gap.

On the RV-6 revised sheet 46 drawing (Rev 9 - 3/98) it shows the slot being in the wing tank fitting. The tank fitting is also aft of the fuselage fitting - which is the opposite of your -7 picture.

It should also be noted that a nutplate gets installed on the non-slotted (fus.) fitting, a drilled head bolt is used with a large diameter AN970 washer on the forward side. The bolt is also safety wired. This hardware portion seems similar to the -7 drawings above.

gil in Tucson - with later -6 drawings.... :)

fehdxl said:
.....The rationale is that with the slot, the brackets will still provide up/down support; but in the event of a crash, and the wing being pushed aft, that the tank would pull laterally outward from that slot allowing the tank (and wing) to pull free from the fuselage without rupturing the integral fuel tank...Jim....
Jim,

Here you go.

rv6atank00230li5.jpg

Thanks!

Gentlemen,

Thank you very much! Looks like a modification is in order.

Too bad there isn't a better way to get the new revisions...or maybe there is and I just don't know about it. Van's web site has a few for the ten, but I don't remember seeing many for the other models. Maybe because of the large plan sheets vs the book.

Thanks again!

-Jim

Updates

Hi Jim,
I was able to get a one time update for my drawings for my 6A. At the time all I had to do was call and ask. FWIW your milage may vary!

Paul
N694BP Reserved

fehdxl said:
Gentlemen,

Thank you very much! Looks like a modification is in order.

Too bad there isn't a better way to get the new revisions...or maybe there is and I just don't know about it. Van's web site has a few for the ten, but I don't remember seeing many for the other models. Maybe because of the large plan sheets vs the book.

Thanks again!

-Jim

What you are referring to is the major reason RVator exist. FYI, my plans show no slot, but I saw the modification in the RV-ator. For the RV-6, you probably do not need to subscribe since most stuff in current releases covers the 7-8-9-10 ect. I have the 24 years of RV-ator which covers most RV-6 design revisions.

Regards,
Dale Lambert
RV-6 finishing kit.

Back