What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flying into Kelowna

dan

Well Known Member
Any advice on flying into Kelowna, BC (CYLW) sometime in the next couple of weeks?

Kelowna

I used to live in Kelowna (worked at the airport) and I flew out of there several times. This informaiton is a couple of years old though.

1) Overnight parking (at the ramp, near the terminal, where they charge $$) did not have tie downs. Therefore, I picked a nice spot in the grass at the north end of the airport (where everyone else is tied down) and parked there.

2) The VFR arrival procedures are in the Canadian Flight Supplement.

3) There are several daily flights by WestJet (737NG) and Jazz (Regional Jets and Dash -8s). In addition Kelowna Flightcraft is located on the field. They operate 727-200s and Convair 580's. You may also see a 757, helicopter or T-33 on their ramp. A flying school and a couple of other business are located on the field as well.

4) It is a nice flight through the valley.

5) The airport is located about 10 minutes north of the city.

6) I (personally) would want at the least first flight into Kelowna to be in the day. Since the airport is in the valley, it is surronded by mountains, and some nice golf courses!

7) Penticton is to the south and Vernon to the north. It was a pain to get fuel in Kelowna - (anything less than 10 000 lbs and they were not to interested.) I found Pentiction to have cheaper fuel and it was easy to get. (May be different now.)

I hope this was sort of useful and have a great flight. Kelowna is a great place.

Paul

B737NG said:
I used to live in Kelowna (worked at the airport) and I flew out of there several times. This informaiton is a couple of years old though.

1) Overnight parking (at the ramp, near the terminal, where they charge $$) did not have tie downs. Therefore, I picked a nice spot in the grass at the north end of the airport (where everyone else is tied down) and parked there.

2) The VFR arrival procedures are in the Canadian Flight Supplement.

3) There are several daily flights by WestJet (737NG) and Jazz (Regional Jets and Dash -8s). In addition Kelowna Flightcraft is located on the field. They operate 727-200s and Convair 580's. You may also see a 757, helicopter or T-33 on their ramp. A flying school and a couple of other business are located on the field as well.

4) It is a nice flight through the valley.

5) The airport is located about 10 minutes north of the city.

6) I (personally) would want at the least first flight into Kelowna to be in the day. Since the airport is in the valley, it is surronded by mountains, and some nice golf courses!

7) Penticton is to the south and Vernon to the north. It was a pain to get fuel in Kelowna - (anything less than 10 000 lbs and they were not to interested.) I found Pentiction to have cheaper fuel and it was easy to get. (May be different now.)

I hope this was sort of useful and have a great flight. Kelowna is a great place.

Paul

The Shell Aero Center at the northwest end of the field provides fuel and free day parking. No tie-downs.

The control zone is irregular and you shoud study the CFS before arrival.

Thanks!

I'm still waiting for the CFS & VFR charts to arrive. I downloaded a PDF from NavCanada entitled "Canadian Airport Charts" (effective 30-Aug-2007 to 25-Oct-2007). It has all the aerodrome charts.

Keep the tips coming. I can use all the advice I can get.

Dan, If you have time to drop in at Langley (CYNJ), let us know. There are a bunch of RV Builders there who'd buy you a drink, including a 10-time offender (!)

Vern

Kelowna

Dan, I learned to fly at Kelowna over ten years ago. It was a class D airport then. Now it's a class C. Clear customs at Penticton or Kelowna with advanced notice (atcus) If you've got some extra time on your return, drop me a PM..I'd be honoured to buy you lunch. I'm 22 minutes South of Kelowna,
Oliver Airport (CAU3) just off the US/CAN border.
regards

This is a really beautiful area of BC.

Watch the hills close in and the peaks in transit, don't do it at night. I think you'll really enjoy the scenery. :)

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the info.

Now on the flip side, coming back to the US, I plan to enter at Scott (0S7). I've done the US Customs dance numerous times but never at that location. Good, bad, ugly?

Dorthy Scott Field, Oroville,Wa

Clear US Customs...piece of cake. One hour minimum notice and up to 24 hr
maximum notice. Arrive 2 min early not 5 min late and STAY IN YOUR AIRCRFT :eek: untill agents arrive at least. Border agents are funny that way. They treat Canadians OK I'm sure they'll be easy on you. :) BTW: You'll be flying RIGHT over my house on your return, so the very least I expect is to "tear up the strip at Oliver"...(every one else does, we shouldn't make exceptions for you) :D

lorne green said:
... so the very least I expect is to "tear up the strip at Oliver"...(every one else does, we shouldn't make exceptions for you) :D
I always adhere to the regulations, of course, but the real "governing factor" on this flight will be the woman in the right seat. :eek: She's not real keen on the types of things that come to my mind when I hear "tear up the strip." We'll do what we can! :D

lorne green said:
Clear US Customs...piece of cake. One hour minimum notice and up to 24 hr
maximum notice. Arrive 2 min early not 5 min late and STAY IN YOUR AIRCRFT :eek: untill agents arrive at least. Border agents are funny that way. They treat Canadians OK I'm sure they'll be easy on you. :) BTW: You'll be flying RIGHT over my house on your return, so the very least I expect is to "tear up the strip at Oliver"...(every one else does, we shouldn't make exceptions for you) :D

Actually, Lorne, isn't your house the reason there is a displaced threshold on runway 36? Sorry I didn't see you this summer-- I was parked at CAU3 for a couple of weeks while I was vacationing in Osoyoos.

Dan,

Flying into Kelowna is no big deal. Our Cessna 170 Association flew about 40 airplanes up there last summer. Basically it's just file an international flight plan with FSS and call 1-800-CANPASS and let them know when you'll be there. Call FSS airborne and get a squawk before crossing the border and you're all set. Fuel is a bit pricey ($5-6/gal a year ago), but it's only 60 miles or so from the border, so you shouldn't need to buy any there.

PM me for a contact at the Kelowna Flying Club. My contact is a Cessna 170 guy, but there are RV-ers in the club that he can put you in contact with. They're great guys and can help you with local ATC procedures and will find you a good parking place.

Back