What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canopy Shade

Devon Tate

I'm New Here
I am trying to find a shade for my RV-8 that fits on the canopy that will give me some protection from the sun.
I believe that Danny King has one.

Does anybody know where to get one and whether they do a good job?

Thanks,

Devon

shade

Ralph Koger makes the shade - I installed one on my -8. It works very well, especially in Texas. Ralph has a display ad on the site.installation was very straight foward

koger gotchas?

I'm going to install my Koger this week. Any gotchas? seems straightforward, 2/25" make a mark. drill a hole etc.

and mods? does it matter that the canopy is off the plane?

thanks mark
7a slider

Two minor problems

I think you have to install them with the canopy off of the plane.

One of the support wires was too long on one side. I called the the designer and told me to cut it to the proper length with a pair of diagonal cutters (not sure of the common usage term spelling - dikes?). I did and it was surprisingly easy - soft wire. Yes, I filed it to a nice bullit shaped end.

One of the mounting screw heads in the guide rail is not low enough to permit smooth operation. The guides hesitate as they hit this little speed bump during deployment and stowing travel.

The potential problems will vary with model (mine is a 6A but should be very similar to Mark's 7A).

Bob Axsom

I'm trying to determine where to tap the velcro dots. straight down, 45 deg. or facing back. tough to tap.

mark

Straight Back

I did mine straight back so the don't show as much and perhaps are not as vulnerable to dirt and wear.

Bob Axsom

"Roger" on the speed bump. no smooth operation at this time.

I wimped out and left the velcro hole tapping for later. (my tap handle's six inches. no room, except for head scratching) Maybe I can get some nice small circular stick ons at Albertson's.

thanx for the info bob, I appreciate it.

mark
http://www.pbase.com/mark2nite/image/54806418

I used a tap handle that slides

I was able to slide my tap handle and do 1/2 rotation at a time. With care there was no damage to the canopy.

Bob Axsom

Shade

smoke said:
Ralph Koger makes the shade - I installed one on my -8. It works very well, especially in Texas. Ralph has a display ad on the site.installation was very straight foward

Do you have a website or contact phone number to order a shade for an RV 8? Thanks

Back