What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Governor Bracket for PCU 5000 ?

B737NG

Does anyone know if Van's MT governor cable bracket will work with the PCU 5000 governor?

(If not, any suggestions on which governor cable bracket to use?)

Thanks for your help.

Paul

At OSH, the folks from PCU 5000 had a Vans bracket on the table and said it would work just fine.

I am not to that point in construction yet, but I would expect that it will work fine for you. Not for me, as I am planning a 390 and all bets are off when it comes to standard governor ANYTHING with that engine as you probably already know.

I would email Kevin Russell at American Propeller Service in Redding, CA with any questions.

He is GREAT!

I think the email is kevin at ameritechind.com and the number is 800-292-7767.

Hope this helps!

:) CJ

I am at the same build point.

This is timely. I ordered the Van's FF kit and am starting work on the firewall. I shouldn't be too far from engine hanging. I still hadn't received my group buy gov. I tried calling the phone number on their website Friday to ask about delivery and got an error message. I e-mailed instead. By coincidence when I got home the govenor had just been delivered. Talk about service! I hope I got the right bracket with the FF kit. Did use guys get a manual with your gov.? I didn't find one in the box.

Van's offers an MT governor bracket. Look it up. They make no mention of the Jihostroj/PCU5000, but it's the same form factor so fits identically.

The big secret is that you must use a 45 degree -8 elbow on the oil fitting behind the governor, and buy a custom hose with a 45 fitting on the engine end. The bracket blocks using either or both straight. See Dan's website.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Last edited:
VA-153

Van's has TWO different governor cable brackets. The VA-183 is the one they recommend for the MT Governor. The VA-153 is the one that I am flying on my Woodward governor.

I purchased TWO of the PCU5000 group buy governors. One is to replace my Woodward on my O-320 when I overhaul the engine. The other is for an O-360 engine core that I plan to build up for RV use.

I just received both of the governor cable brackets that Van sells. Matching the governor cable bracket up with the PCU5000, I like the way the VA-153 bracket fits the best. The VA-183 would use the same mounting studs that mount the governor. It looks like it may work but would need spacers (at least 2 washers on each stud) on the governor to fit correctly. The base across the governor is RAISED UP higher than where the counter-bores are for the washers and nuts.

I just did the test fit and though I would look to see if anyone else has made a determination about which will work the best. I see that others have posted that Van's bracket would work but no one listed Van's Part Number for the bracket that fits best. IMHO, if you have not purchased a bracket for the PCU5000, order the VA-153 for the best fit. On the Woodward governor, the 6-screws that are safety wired can be loosened to rotate the arm to the clock in the direction that works best for your installation.

I had the MT governor with the VA-183. I swapped it out for a PCU5000 and used the same bracket with one washer between the governor and bracket. I'm happy with it. It fits fine, although I can see how another one might fit better.

Back