What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Is it just me or What?

CNEJR

Well Known Member
Today, I was fitting the new style wingtips on my RV6. I had lined up ailerons,flaps with a lazer. As I fitted the tips I noticed that the trailing edge of each tip is about 1/2 inch higher than the aileron. Tip fits perfectly in the airfoil, lays in nice, etc. Has any one else had this problem. To fix it I think I would probably have to cut the lower side of the tip & re glass. Help.

yup

run a hacksaw blade to seperate the upper and lower surfaces.

Move to required location and re glue together with epoxy and flox.

Frank 7a

Noooooo!!!!!! Don't do it!

frankh said:

The wing tips do not self position on the wing (even though it may look like it fits the airfoil exactly).

The leading edge of the wing tip can be rotated or translated up or down slightly in the leading edge of the wing. This will move the trailing edge of teh tip up and down at the same time.

Yup

frankh said:

Frank 7a
Frank describes it well. Line up the trailing edge after everything made of metal is set. Fiberglass is a good 25% of the work.

Many people have had to cut the trailing edge, but I agree with Scott (above) do some moving around first! I didn't have to do a thing to make mine fit - the just worked right. But then, that was the case with almost everything in my 2004/2005 kit, including the infamous RV-8 canopy skirt.

Not saying you won't have to cut it, but play around first - even if it means re-drilling some holes.

Paul

Mine were off as well, but less that 1/4 hole diameter. I redrilled one size larger, #8. The second time around, I drilled the trailing edge holes first, one on each side. I think when you start at the front and work your way back, it tends to walk on you.

frankh said:

Frank 7a
I had to do this on my -9. Bummer but it wasn't a big deal and end the end, the thing flew hands off.

Back