What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Any updates on Subaru E-6 turbo for RV-10?

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
Last I saw was a video of Dan Lloyd talking about his E-6 and planning to load it into his car. Any other recent info out there?
Is anyone flying an RV-10 with this package yet?
If so, I'd love to see any feedback posted.
Thanks,
Tom Hanaway
Boynton Beach, FL
Building again
N518TP-reserved

seen it at osh

I stopped and seen Jan and got the update for the subbie on the the -10 there. It works but still a work in progress. Jan did show me the W&B issue when he gently touched the tail and the nose came up !

How much power does a E-6 have? It seems to be very light. I guess you could add weight to the engine. Probably a turbo or super charger and AC would add some weight. Of course there is always lead.

Bit of an exaggeration

While I agree that we are light on the nose wheel, by about 40 lbs. it does take more than a touch, when on level ground to raise the nose wheel. The plane is on the ramp in front of Jan's shop, which is on an incline, and this makes it very difficult for a big guy like myself to get in without the planes nose going up. Kinda like I need to go on a diet right? HAHA!
On level ground it is fine, but W&B shows that with 5 gallons, 4 adults and full baggage we are at the back side of the CG, so I will be moving the dual batteries to the firewall, and this will give me a net 50 LB shift forward, which will make the W&B come out better.
Dan
N289DT

Wayne said:
I stopped and seen Jan and got the update for the subbie on the the -10 there. It works but still a work in progress. Jan did show me the W&B issue when he gently touched the tail and the nose came up !

220/E6T

220 HP in the Turbo version. Right now we are making about 200 HP normally aspirated, we are seeing speeds in the 150 Knot range without leg fairings and intersection fairings and burning 11GPH. We did slow flight testing and got 130 knots at 6 GPH.
I am going back to Florida this weekend to finish installing the rest of the fairings and to fly with the new cowl and prop controller.
Should be a good final test before we install the Turbo and get the high altitude numbers.
Dan
N289DT
TSwezey said:
How much power does a E-6 have? It seems to be very light. I guess you could add weight to the engine. Probably a turbo or super charger and AC would add some weight. Of course there is always lead.

2/4 blade prop

It was the 4 bladed prop hub with two blades removed. We were testing to see if the engine, normally aspriated was able to take advantage of the extra blade area down low. The 4 blade was put in place for flying high with the turbo and needing more blade area up high, where it would be required.
What we found was that the normally aspriated engine was 10 knots faster in cruise with two blades, but slower in climb and significantly higher vibration.
What we are testing next is the three bladed prop with the same length blade, and then we wil also test the 3 and 4 blade combo with shorter blades. We are in the process of putting together the best combination to balance climb and cruise.
Dan

I forgot to congratulate you on being the first non-lyco flying. You have some of the same problems I will have/had except you have to get weight forward where I have/ had to get weight in the rear.Keep us informed with your tests.

THX

THX for the thought, we are in the middle of redoing the cowl, we had the prototype on for OshKosh and it worked well, but Jan has done some more investigation and has designed a new one. I go back to Florida tomorrow to mount the new one, and do some more testing. I love it, this is why I got into experimental aviation, so we can come up with ideas, make changes and test to see what they do. Once we get the cowl into production configuration, then it is on to turbo testing and higher altitude flying. I am learning so much about what it takes to design an engine package that performas well.
As we get this next round of testing completed I have plans to take the plane up to Tim Olson's and then we will do some comparative flying. That way we all get to see the numbers from two plane's and how they perform in different scenario's.
I hope you get yours done soon, I can not wait to see a V-8 on the airframe. I have been talking to another builder doing a V-8 install, and helping him with his fuel system.
Hope all is going well
Dan
N289DT RV10E

Back