What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Stranded in Florida with electrical challenge

Jackson

Flew from Addison,TX to Space Coast airport KTIX in Florida today. About 40 minutes before landing, my JPI 700 started flashing a battery warning. Usually it reads 13.9 to 14. It slowly started showing a lesser reading until I landed with a reading of about 11.6.

I am not an A&P and did not build the plane (an RV7). Any suggestions? Anybody know someone in this area to help me out. I am getting on a cruise boat Monday early afternoon and will be back Friday morning.

I did find out that the builder used the Vans Firewall Forward kit when he built the airplane. Their current kit includes the Plane Power alternator. This kit was built in 2004 and first flew in January 2005.

I appreciate the quick feedback so far.

New update: Confirmed with Vans that FF kit probably included a 14684 alternator at that time. Chuck Wallace from Dallas called and said he had one sitting on his desk and it is on its way to me now. Fabulous! Now all I need is a "knowledgeable" person with the right tools and a battery charger to assist me in the installation on Friday mid morning.

This RV community is terrific. I put out a message and have five responses and two phone calls within five hours.

Thanks for all the help!!

Last edited:
Look for loose connections, remove the alternator and have it tested at an auto parts shop. If it is bad, and it is one of Van's he will probably warranty it. If he won't, or you want a better unit, call Plane Power and get one of theirs, as they seem to be the most reliable. Easy conversion, very reliable. Put a charger on the battery while you are working on the airplane.

Probably 4-7 shop hours if you don't have time or inclination.

A suggestion

Call Vans and order a Plane Power 60A alternator and have it delivered to the FBO where you are.

When you get back borrow some tools and fit it...It comes as a complete kit and shouldn't be too hard to fit.

This assumes you have an original internally regulated alternator (most have).

It will cost 400 bucks but its well worthwhile mod.

Frank

There are several builders probably within 30 miles of you. I am sure someone local will respond shortly. I wouldn't worry about it and enjoy the cruise.

As suggested, look for loose connections first. We had the same problem. Took the alternator off to be tested, but found a loose connection right at the alternator terminal crimp. It produced enough voltage on the ground, but once a load was applied while airborne, the voltage dropped.

L.Adamson

Do you need a place to stay?

I can't help with the alternator issue, but if you are stranded and need a place to stay, I am in Orlando and you are welcome to stay at my place. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Tony

Go to auto parts store?

Kind of late, all good suggestions above.

You probably have a standard not Plane Power unit, because plane power was not selling their products than. You could tell by looking at the back for a little box or module with wires running to it from the alternator. That is a plane power and it has a machined aluminum pulley. You likely have a stamped steel pulley, which is the standard alternator.

One fix (if the alternator is dead which is possible) is go buy an alternator outright from any auto parts store. As suggested pull it off and let them tested. You may want to hold on to the one you have or you can trade in. They don't give much credit for them or charge much for a core I recall. You may want to send it back to Vans if its a low time unit.

The part # is Lester Nos: 14684 (same thing as Vans unit)

"Lester" is a generic cross ref number most parts shops should know. Its a 1986 Suzuki Samurai application if they look confused. Good luck.

I concur in the future if you want to upgrade get a plane power unit. If you have time you could have one shipped but it may take a new belt if the pulley's are not the same? That would mean pulling the prop.

Last edited:
Plane Power

If you have access to tools the new belt problem may not involve pulling the prop.

The PP is a small alt and the belt required is likely to be smaller than the one you have.

What I did was to leave the existing Van's adjusting bracket in place, using a washer or two and a bit of grinding on a scotchbrite wheel, made the old belt work in much less time than it would have taked to remove the prop.

As you have the time I would order the PP unit this morning as you want one of those anyway...You still have the backup plan of exchanging the one you have but it might be nice to fix the thing once and for all.

The PP kit comes complete with all new brackets, bolts and belt and fits perfectly.

All the best

Frank

Back