What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Light Requirements

szicree

Well Known Member
If I understand the regs I don't need any lighting at all if I'm only going day VFR. Is this correct?

Steve Zicree
RV4 Finishing

You don't need

You don't need any lights of any kind for day VFR. Lots of Piper cubs fly with out lights or even a battery, alternator or starter........ If fact you almost don't NEED an electrical system, almost.

A lot or RV's get full tilt electrical systems with all kinds of lights, not to mention a full IFR panel, when the pilot/builder fly VFR day almost exclusively. Think of all the weight, money and build time if you built a true Day VFR RV (lights and instruments). Of course today we need a radio and transponder mode C to go anywhere. Also larger high compression engines need a starter, and with low wing fuel tanks, we also need an electric fuel pump. So a no electrical system RV is not likely, but a few RV-3's have be built without electrical systems (no boost pump with firewall header tank).

Think light Steve. You can always lay the wires for future light expansion.

Cheers George

No lights - very cool

Last weekend at Colmar in France I saw a Danish RV8 with no lights, and it really did look cool.

DSC02969.sized.jpg

I've got more pictures here if you are interested.

http://rv8.ch/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=colmar05

Most European countries do not allow owner built and maintained aircraft to fly night VFR, or IFR.

Back