What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake Fluid Reservoir

Rick6a

Well Known Member
I can't remember where I got these pics, but at least one RV'er has replaced the firewall mounted brake fluid reservoir and its associated hoses and fittings with these inexpensive A-600 cans available from Spruce.
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/lg/brakecomponents_reservoirs.html

*Seems* an elegant way to avoid several potential leak sources. As I recall, my C-150 had a similiar setup but am not 100% sure. Anyway, has anyone on the forum done this and care to comment?

mvc566x30lc6.jpg
mvc565x30gg7.jpg

This might work fine on the RV-8 where you have good access to the master cylinders. On the other models, checking fluid levels would be difficult. Don't see why you should have leak problems on the non-pressure side of the system.

Mine is built and flying with those exact same reservoirs Rick, and they work great! Mel is right that access through the forward baggage floor makes them very practical.

Paul

I am interested in this also to get the reservoir off the firewall and eliminate tubing. I think access down thru the baggage comp. floor solves that problem too. However, I have long legs and will have my pedals as far forward as possible. Can anyone tell me if these reservoirs will hit the firewall, or is there enough clearance. Also wonder if a 90 degree fitting to turn the reservoir would gain clearance. thanks ,Tony

Rick, one thing to think about: I believe that if you install the A-600 reservoirs on the ground-adjustable rudder pedals, you might not be able to use the forward-most hole position of the pedals, because the reservoir hits the firewall. Just something to think about if you have long legs.

Here's a past thread on the subject, and here's another.

Little ones like that came with my RV-6 kit. If you read Mel's post, you will find out WHY I purchased ONE that would mount on the firewall.

Even with the LARGE one on the front side of the firewall, I still get splashing of 5606 out of the reservoir when 1/2 full. Can only imagine the mess I would have if I had the smaller ones in the cockpit.

Now that I have 2,050 hours on the hobbs meter after almost 10-years flying the airplane, I am GLAD that the reservoir is on the front side of the firewall.

BuckWynd said:
Rick, one thing to think about: I believe that if you install the A-600 reservoirs on the ground-adjustable rudder pedals, you might not be able to use the forward-most hole position of the pedals, because the reservoir hits the firewall. Just something to think about if you have long legs.

For this reason, I used street elbows to swing the cylinders 90 deg. to the side. Another advantage is that you can adjust the cylinders so they are vertical when the pedals are in the neutral position. They still come pretty close to the firewall with the pedal all the way forward, even with the pedal assembly in the second mounting hole back.

I used the cans on the first -7 and liked them. Make sure the center distance between the two allows them to clear each other through the pedal arc. You may need to slightly alter the pedal shaft lengths to assure clearance. Also, I used 45 Ls on the high pressure lines to swing them around the cans on their way to the firewall. Use the cork stoppers and no dribbles.

The Van's reservoir on the second -7 is poorly made. The brackets won't seat on the mounting surface before the body hits, and they snap off at the weld if you try to flex them. Then there has been a spat of leak chasing. Tubes going everywhere. Complex install by comparison. KISS.

Don't be concerned about access. They only reason for such is if you have a leak, and that will be the issue, not accessing reservoirs. The A600 capacity is far greater than needed for normal pad wear.

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Use the A600s.

I just spent the weekend removing my dual reservoirs from the Rocket. I thought I'd have access from the boot cowl but once I filled it with electrical stuff, it was way too hard to reach. Beside, I had to bleed TWO brake systems instead of one. Huge pain. I went back to the original design. Funny, that Van guy is pretty smart sometimes.

I saw a photo posted on this site recently where a -7 builder used individual reservoirs on each pedal (x4), and it looks like the hoses would interfere with your feet. In order for them not to interfere with each other, they have to "overlap" the pedal as they run upward. Not ideal in my book.

You'd have to be very careful where you put your feet so you're not stepping on or constantly shoving the hoses. It looks potentially problematic to me.

On the RV-7/9[A], imho the per-plans setup is best. Even without those fat reservoirs there, with just an elbow in place, it's hard enough getting the hoses clocked out of the way of the pedals. Adding bulk in that area and forcing the hoses to run past the pedals is not smart imho.

The A-600s work for me

I used the A-600s on my RV8. I have the in flight adjustable rudder pedals. So far I have not had leaks other than when I over filled a reservoir one time.
To bleed the brakes, I just get in and adjust the pedals back. I can then just lean down, while sitting in the pilot seat and remove the filler cap from the A-600. I have a fitting that screws into the filler hole, similar to a static line fitting, with a clear vinyl tube on it, several feet long. Once you attach this, you can fill fluid from the wheel fitting and just watch until the fluid comes up into the tubing. Then, just open the fitting (Where you were pumping in the fluid.) and let the excess fluid drain back out, until the fluid level gets back into the reservoir. Remove the fitting and hose and replace the cap and go to the other brake.
This is very easy to do, even by yourself.
I have used this same method for FW mounted reservoirs and it works fine.
Which type of reservoirs to use is a personal choice, in my opinion. I have had both systems on my different planes and they both work fine. On my RV6, though, I did have leaks on the plastic, low pressure fittings, that VAN's supplied. I ended up replacing them with a different type and the leaks stopped. But that's just me. Others have used those fittings with good results.
Good luck.

Oh Yea

Ironflight said:
Mine is built and flying with those exact same reservoirs Rick, and they work great! Mel is right that access through the forward baggage floor makes them very practical.
In the end, I chose to remove the dual lengths of low pressure hose, four adel clamps and hardware, the brake fluid reservoir and its nylon tee fitting from the firewall. Doing so left the general area less much cluttered. Attaching the A-600 cans was simple and slightly clocking the fluid fittings below was required to avoid clearance and possible chaffing issues. There is no conflict with the firewall when the cockpit adjustable pedals are locked in the forwardmost position. Filling the system couldn't have been any simpler and is an easy one-man operation using extended clear tubing from the A-600's. BTW, with Grove gear attached I fabricated "real" brake hoses almost identical to those I once fitted to my C-150. No leaks, no runs, no errors. Naturally, YMMV.

brakes00325ju7.jpg

brakes15rp7.jpg

One final thing I'd do Rick is get a couple of those brake reservoir caps from Van's - they have like a sintered filter thing that would slowly pass oil if you stayed inverted for several minutes, but allow air through - good vents, and they dont' leak.

Ironflight said:
One final thing I'd do Rick is get a couple of those brake reservoir caps from Van's.......
Excellent tip Paul...I'll include those caps with the next (inevitable) purchase from Van's.

Well, I didn't, but now that I see the "Dog's", I think I'm gonna want a pair.....just cause they are cooler than the things from Van's!;)

Laughing out load...

Sorry I just can't help it.

Years ago (1980's and early 90's all kits from Van's came with the individual fluid reservoirs. RV builders said they didn't like crawling under the panel just to service the fluid level so the change to a single reservoir was made.

20 years later and we have come full circle.

I am always in favor of simple systems design and the RV-8 certainly lends itself to this installation...I don't think I would use it on any of the other models though. Particularly the RV10, there is not a lot of maneuvering space between the center tunnel and the side wall of the fuselage.

rvbuilder2002 said:
Years ago (1980's and early 90's all kits from Van's came with the individual fluid reservoirs. RV builders said they didn't like crawling under the panel just to service the fluid level so the change to a single reservoir was made.
Just curious...way back when...in the case of a side-by-side with passenger side brakes, were the individual reservoirs only installed on the pax side? I assume so, just want to make sure my head is on straight.

dan said:
Just curious...way back when...in the case of a side-by-side with passenger side brakes, were the individual reservoirs only installed on the pax side? I assume so, just want to make sure my head is on straight.
If I am remembering correctly, it was done two different ways.
The first way was to route the line from each gear leg to the nearest master cyl. Then that master cyl was daisy chained to the corresponding cyl for the opposite seating position. At some time it was realized that this induced an added failure mode to the brakes because the pilot side right brake was relying on the passenger position part of the system to transmit pressure to the right brake.
If I remember right, the system then changed to what we have now except for a reservoir on each passenger master cyl instead of a remote one feeding the cyl. with individual lines.
The final was what we have now. I think that change occured when the the rudder peddles changed from floor mounted to the overhead mounted that we have now.

Question regarding a semi-stock install

Great thread, hope you don't mind me butting in with a more mundane question.

I'm building the panel and controls to allow either easily, but I'm planning on soloing my RV-7 primarily from the right seat.

Since I think the majority will be from the right, I am wondering if I should...
- run LP lines from the firewall resevoir to the left side cylinders, then...
- run HP lines to the right side cylinders, then...
- run HP lines to the firewall again for the emergency brake valve and pass-thru to the lines that will go down the gear legs?

I'm guessing either way will work but that the pedals that get used the most should be the ones closest to the actual brake cylinders. Opinions very much welcome.

George

My -6 is flown regularly from both seats. I fly from the left and my wife flies from the right. I have the LP lines running to the "center" cylinders and HP to the mains from the "outboard" cylinders. Been working great for over 14 years.

Brake Fluid Resevoir

I am at the point of deciding to use the Vans brake fluid resevoir on the firewall or go with the small resevoirs mounted on the master cylinders. Does anyone have any comments pro or con.

I am worried about future access for filling the resevoirs and bleeding the lines properly.

There's a thread on this subject around here somewhere. I just removed my dual reservoirs. Pain in the butt to fill and you have to bleed two systems instead of one.

YMMV

.....I just removed my dual reservoirs. Pain in the butt to fill and you have to bleed two systems instead of one.
Well yea, I guess so......IF the reservoirs are installed in an RV other than the -8 series. The -8 offers easy access through the forward baggage compartment and serviceability is quite easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea, but...

Yep, I get that. Even if the access to the reservoir isn't an issue, it is just so much easier to bleed the brakes one time, put fluid in the one reservoir, spill brake fluid just one time when I take it all apart, etc. I know the Rocket is different than the RV-8, but I'm amazed at how much easier it is to complete the bleeding process now that I have just one reservoir.

Granted that two reservoirs reduce the complexity of the fittings, hoses, and failure points. That's why I went that way initially, but in the end, I went with what was easy to maintain.

YMMV, there are positives and negatives to each approach. Do what "floats your boat". There is no "wrong" way, just offering up my experiences.

My 2 cents worth

I went with Van's system but agree its a personal thing. I have the pedal-mounted resevoirs on my Kitfox and they are a pain to check, service and whatever. I had a minor leak in one of the fittings (needed tightening) and it was not a small task; and the Kitfox has better access than my -8. For me, it wasn't a question.

I am at the point of deciding to use the Vans brake fluid resevoir on the firewall or go with the small resevoirs mounted on the master cylinders. Does anyone have any comments pro or con.

I am worried about future access for filling the resevoirs and bleeding the lines properly.

I'll vote strongly in favor of the individual reservoirs--they are very easy to service on a -8 and leave each brake completely independent of the other.

Even if you lose one brake, with a steerable tailwheel and a single brake you have reasonable control. If you lose both (or a single brake in an -A model) you have a bigger problem.

I understand the objections related to the other RVs, but for the -8 it's a no-brainer IMHO.

Back