What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

San Antonio, TX - Boerne Stage (5C1)

7DeltaLima

Well Known Member
Group:
My daughter and new son-in-law are moving to San Antonio, TX and are in fact traveling this morning. I plan to fly from SE Iowa on Saturday morning to pick up my wife who is a traveling companion with my daughter. Looking at the sectionals it appears that Boerne Stage Field (5C1) is the closest field to their end destination.

Anyone here have any experience with 5C1? Any other recommendations other than 5C1?

Airnav route for cheaper fuel ... includes potential stop at OWP, Sand Springs, OK..... 2K9 Haskill, OK.... or MEZ, Mena, AR...

Any input would be appreciated.
Doug
-7A ~500 hours

Doug,

Another option would be Bulverde (1T8) airpark which is my home base. It is due north of San Antonio (7 miles from the SAT vor 002 radial). The best gas prices in the area are just north of 1T8 (3 miles) at Kestrel airpark (1T7).

Cheers,

db

I hangar out of 5C1

Feel free to call me and I can give you all the information you need about the local area.
If you need an overnight hangar space, I think I can make room for you in my hangar, too.

210 289-3984

Thanks Steve

Just have to take a moment to pass on a public thanks to Steve. I posted here looking for some basic information and ended up with a hangar.

I arrived Saturday around 12:30ish ... 100 degree heat... call Steve and he's having lunch.... described his hangar.... where for me to leave my plane.... I went back later that afternoon and Steve was there installing racks (did I mention is was hot) in his new hangar... I got to visit for a few minutes and left Steve to finish.

I left my RV sitting out and Steve put it into his hangar after he finished working all day (in the heat), gave me the key to his hangar and had the RV sitting right in the front ready for me to roll out this morning...

So, Steve thanks so much for your hospitality.

Doug

7DeltaLima said:
Group:

Anyone here have any experience with 5C1? Any other recommendations other than 5C1?
Any input would be appreciated.
Doug
-7A ~500 hours

I have been in and out of 5C1 many times. Its home of Scott Solberg and his Super 7 as well as some other fine birds. He is the IA/A&P on the field. Its public use with hangers, fuel and parking. Stop by the FBO and say hello to Scott and Im sure he would show you around his fire breathing 7.
Best,

Speaking of San Antonio...

went there to visit with the wife's sister who was on VC there. Decided to land at Twin Oaks airport which is listed as a public airport. I knew I was in trouble when the controller asked me if I was "sure" I really wanted to go there and if I had been there before. When I replied that "no" I had never been there before but I have it on GPS so I should be ok he then gives me directions that go something like "when you get to the main road make a left and follow it till you see the burger king then turn right". He then had to add that "it's really more like an alley behind some houses than an airport and not to easy to find" He wasn't kidding, we finally located it after circling once or twice only because of a couple of old hangers we spotted next to the 2000/30ft runway. To make it more interesting it's only about 3 miles from the International airport so were circling at 500' so we stay out of the way of the jets coming in over the top of us! Add a few trees on both ends and houses and other assorted obstacles (mobile homes, fences etc.) maybe 10 or 20ft from the runway edge and you're beginning to get the picture, it was a little more challenging than normal :eek: We did have a nice day doing the river walk and we really great time there, very nice town with lots of history. And the RV performed flawlessly as usual getting us in and out without any trouble, I just love this plane!!!

Back