What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

496, Trutrak, Dynon Combo

John Collier

RVers,

I'm considering the following combo: Dynon D180 & D10A, Trutrak ADI Pilot II, Garmin SL30 and 496. My question:

Will I be able to run the Dynon HSI AND the TT Pilot II to its full potential with the Garmin 496? Any drawbacks to this scheme would be appreciated.

Thanks!

HI John

I a D-10A, EMS-D10, 396 and Sl-40. It works great. The SL-30 should tie right in as I understand it. The manuals on the Dynon site show hookups and operation. The guys from Dynon support will probably chime in here or on the forums on the Dynon site.

Good Luck!

John Collier said:
RVers,

I'm considering the following combo: Dynon D180 & D10A, Trutrak ADI Pilot II, Garmin SL30 and 496. My question:

Will I be able to run the Dynon HSI AND the TT Pilot II to its full potential with the Garmin 496? Any drawbacks to this scheme would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Should work great. The GPS will drive the GPS version of the HSI and the SL-30 will drive the VOR/LOC HSI via the serial ports and I think with the D180, there is a button to push on the screen that lets you pick the HSI's source between the two serial ports. If you add the new HS34 and you gain a few more much needed features like a hard button for the HSI source select and knob for altimiter settings and hopefully OBS selection back to the SL-30(hopefully in a future update)

Someone correct me if I am wrong, this is the way I understand you can do this.

Last edited:
I'm in the process of wiring my D-100, EMS D-10, SL-30, 396, Trutrak autopilot.
From what I understand (manual, Dynon support, and this forum) there are several ways to hook these together. First of all, you will need to splice in a line from the GPS to the autopilot. Second, depending on how you connect the SL-30 and GPS will dictate where you can see the HSI. There seems to be some confusion as to whether a SPDT switch is necessary to connect the GPS and SL-30 to before they go to the EMS D-10. Right now you have to connect the serial ports from the EFIS and EMS together but this should change once new software becomes available.

One way or another, I am real excited about getting all of these components up and running. The screens on the Dynons are awesome!

avi8tor50 said:
From what I understand (manual, Dynon support, and this forum) there are several ways to hook these together. First of all, you will need to splice in a line from the GPS to the autopilot. Second, depending on how you connect the SL-30 and GPS will dictate where you can see the HSI. There seems to be some confusion as to whether a SPDT switch is necessary to connect the GPS and SL-30 to before they go to the EMS D-10.

I think the D180 has two screen selectable serial port inputs to drive the HSI where the EMS D-10 only has one and you must use the switch to select the source on that one. Dynonsupport chime in here anytime...

Last edited:
Switch to TT?

I'm tracking all of this... except the switch to the TT. I thought the autopilot's sole source of Course/Nav data was the GPS signal.

What am I missing?

Last edited:
John Collier said:
I'm tracking all of this... except the switch to the TT. I thought the autopilot's sole source of Course/Nav data was the GPS signal.

What am I missing?

Looks like Stein answered this question before:

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=135399&postcount=2

Looks like you can't do this after all because the SL30 does not output the needed flags in its Data stream so the TT would only be connected to the GPS.

Last edited:
Back