What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Best price on oil?

kevinh

Well Known Member
Hi ya'll,

I'm in need of a couple of cases of AeroShell 15W50 shipped to my house. Anyone know who currently has the best prices including shipping?

I know about Dan's list but the oil supplier there is an LA only outlet.

Kevin

Local Sam's Club

The one near KADS (Addison, TX) stocks it.
Maybe a Sam's / Costco near your hooch.

Can't tell you the best price, but I can tell you the worst. A friend of mine from Norfolk is visiting this weekend, and needed a couple of quarts of Exxon Elite for his trip back home.

A couple of friends picked up the oil at Abilene Aero on the way down, and it was $9.50 per quart. So, BROO (Bring Your Own Oil) if you are ever in our neighborhood.

Wes Hays said:
Can't tell you the best price, but I can tell you the worst... <snip>...at Abilene Aero on the way down, and it was $9.50 per quart.

Nope, I got ya beat on the worst; Signature at Palm Springs (PSP) wanted $14 for a quart of Aeroshell 100.

14 bucks for 1 quart of oil. Greedy slimeballs. I found cheaper oil elsewhere.

Just ordered a case of straight Mineral AeroShell 100 for $35, $46.55 shipped from http://oil-store.com/.

Looks like Aeroshell 15W50 is $53.79/case with shipping around $11.56, for a grand total of $65.35.

--
Michael Crowder

sonex293 said:
Just ordered a case of straight Mineral AeroShell 100 for $35, $46.55 shipped from http://oil-store.com/.

Looks like Aeroshell 15W50 is $53.79/case with shipping around $11.56, for a grand total of $65.35.

--
Michael Crowder
Where are you located? I went to oil-store.com and saw the good prices, but shipping to SoCal was $22.48 for 1 case, $39.81 for 2 cases, $51.88 for 3 cases, and $64.53 for 4 cases.

I order 4 cases at a time, so that's $279.69 shipped, or $69.92 per case. That's 8 bucks per case more expensive than using my local distributor. I'll stick with the local distro. But depending on where you guys are located, oil-store.com might be a better deal.

Group buy

Might make sense for a group from each field/EAA Chapter, etc. to try a "group buy" on oil from a local distributor...see what they'll do for ya. I personally go though 4-8 cases per year...if there are 20 other airplanes nearby, that's 80-160 cases of oil if people are willing to buy a year's supply. The local jobber might be willing to talk to you. Dan's right in that the pricing from many of the internet suppliers don't make sense when you have to add in the freight.

Oil filters also might be an item to look at doing an area group buy...

I guess I should have qualified that. Shipping to North Carolina is $11.56. Looks like oil-store.com is located in PA. Strange part....if I put in 4 cases, the shipping comes out to $12.05/case.

--
Michael

dan said:
Where are you located? I went to oil-store.com and saw the good prices, but shipping to SoCal was $22.48 for 1 case, $39.81 for 2 cases, $51.88 for 3 cases, and $64.53 for 4 cases.

I order 4 cases at a time, so that's $279.69 shipped, or $69.92 per case. That's 8 bucks per case more expensive than using my local distributor. I'll stick with the local distro. But depending on where you guys are located, oil-store.com might be a better deal.

I second the notion of buying from the local Shell distributor. In northern Ohio, there prices were as good as any others just picking up a case at a time. Englefield Oil

Mike

Back