What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OT - Savannah Area Question

PaulR

Well Known Member
My step daughter is going to Savannah College of Art and Design this fall and moving there. Her mother, (my bucker) is trying to find her an apartment on line and not having much luck. The step daughter currently lives in Bremerton, WA and will be back here in AL around the 20th of August.
We're planning a trip over there then to help her find something.
I admire her for making the move and trying to do something she's always wanted to do, but she's pretty nervous about leaving a job and moving clear accross the country without so much as a place to live let alone a job.

If any of you guys from that area have a lead, I'd appreciate it.

Sorry for being un-RV related.

Hey Paul,

No leads on apartments, but try one of the on-line finders such as http://www.apartments.com. More to the point, when you come to Savannah, on the west side of town (at Savannah/Hilton Head International Airport) there are a TON of hotels. You should be able to find a room for a few days at a fairly reasonable rate. Then grab a copy of the local apartment finder publication (they're everywhere) and start looking.
Finally, feel free to contact me with a PM if you'd like. My wife and I are both Savannah natives and would be glad to offer any advice we can. By the way, there is a frequent poster to this forum who is associated with SCAD, and may chime in with some input.
Anyway, best wishes to your stepdaughter. SCAD has contributed a lot to Savannah, and is a real asset.

I wouldn't use anything online unless you know the area very well. Savannah is a great area but there are some bad parts. Many students live around the school, which is spread out, and some live outside the city. I live about 12 minutes east of downtown. Where I live is mostly islands. Some students rent apartments or houses out this way. Generally the rent is a little cheaper but it is a different environment. When you think of Savannah you think of old buildings, the squares and live oaks. I have 36 palm trees in my yard that overlooks the marsh. If I were a student I would probably live downtown but each has its trade-offs. Good luck and Robby probably has the best connections for SCAD students. I would get a hotel downtown like the Hampton Inn on Bay street.

I live down in the Georgetown area (King George Blvd, off of 204/Abercorn). It's a little far from SCAD, maybe, but a pretty good area. There are also a lot of new apartments in Pooler (just west of the airport). Pooler's a new developing area; lived there for a couple years on and off while in school.

Both of these places are maybe 20-30 minutes from downtown, depending on traffic.

Back