What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Odyssey

Jaypratt

Well Known Member
Mentor
Join me this month in the west if you can.
I am flying around the north and west starting tomorrow.

First destination is Durango CO. A car to Silverton, Co for a week hiking /jeeping with Charlie Kerrns, RV8 builder. August 4-11

Heber City, Ut. and Park City. August 12-15

Then on to the Back Country Fly-in Johnson Creek, Idaho August 16-19.

Orcas Island, in the San Juan Islands, base there and explore that part of the country. August 20 to??

Back to Texas around Sept 1

Jaypratt said:
Join me this month in the west if you can.
I am flying around the north and west starting tomorrow.

First destination is Durango CO. A car to Silverton, Co for a week hiking /jeeping with Charlie Kerrns, RV8 builder. August 4-11

Heber City, Ut. and Park City. August 12-15

Then on to the Back Country Fly-in Johnson Creek, Idaho August 16-19.

Orcas Island, in the San Juan Islands, base there and explore that part of the country. August 20 to??

Back to Texas around Sept 1
Jay, you lucky boy. Say Hi! to the San Juans for me.

TODR

Visit to Heber

I'd like very much to meet you when you're in Heber. It's about a 30 minute drive from my house. I've been a lurker here for about a year. I'm almost finished with my Private Pilot program; checkride is supposed to be around the end of this month. And I'm very interested in RV's, but have not yet seen one.

Please let me know if there's a chance to meet you when you're in Heber.

Thanks.

Tom Thurston

Jay, unless we're suddenly blessed with a near-Noah deluge, Johnson Creek is no place to be. It's surrounded by big fires and terribly smoky most of the time. Check the web cam; The Bryant's house above the runway at the south end usually isn't visible, and it's little more than 1/2 mile away from the cam. Smiley Creek at the Salmon headwaters is fairly good, and it has the JC amenities. Cavanaugh Bay on Priest Lake (in the pan handle) has nice facilitles also, and should be smoke free.

Idaho is fairly well bisected by fire TFRs, so watch your step.

John (cough, cough) Siebold
Boise, ID

Johnson Creek

The Forest Service asked the caretakers to evac the strip until the fire danger has passed. I'll bet the harmonica players at the festival (Aug 3-5) 5 miles north in Yellow Pine are feeling the effects.

Steve

change

Hiking in the high country around Silverton was great fun.
In Park City, UT today. A 3.3 hour flight in Shooter, the Super Cub, from Durango.
Well it looks like Johnson Creek is out. Too much smoke. Northern Idaho is a maybe. The folks on www.Supercub.org. are talking about Sullivan Lake, WA. May head up there. Priest Lake is open, no smoke and a good camping spot, might go in there, Cavanaugh Bay.

Could not go to Heber, UT,,,,,, no cars... Landed @ Salt Lake City Muni

Last edited:
We flew the length of ID yesterday (11 Aug) from BOI to the pan handle. Northern ID is fairly clear, except occasional back flushes of smoke out of MT (Priest Lake was so-so). I'm sure you'll find a pleasant spot, but Sullivan Lake is too much like camping in the Disneyworld parking lot for me (adjacent big road access camps). Consider Magee east of Coeur d'Alene. You might want to simply bolt for the islands and Olympic coast and be shut of the interior. Consider this: Port Angeles thence ferry to Victoria, BC, and return. Pretty city with Buchard (sp?) Gardens. I believe the State Dept. has relented on passports for Canadian crossing for the time being, but check. If you get thrown in jail, I promise to take care of Shooter for you!

John Siebold
Boise, ID

Ha!!

Thanks John,

Good talking to you today. Thanks for the local info. Carol and I will fly through Boise, ID Wednesday. We hope to make Cavanaugh Bay Wed night. Then on to Sullivan Lake 09S Thursday.

Park City,UT

Odyssey up date,

Thanks Lynn Vaughn for the house on the mountain. Carol and I have been playing tourist here in Park City. We spent a couple of hours at the new Ice Rink skating. It only took me 5 minutes to bust my buns. Yuck,,,,,,, Rental Skates, :mad: '''

I am bringing my skates next time. We like to skate in Mc Call, Idaho too.

Last edited:
Heading Home

Idaho started raining on us @ Cavanaugh Bay. So we decided to head back. The San Juans will have to wait. We returned to Park City, UT.
My friend Mitchel Wagner has been flying the time off 'Borrowed Horse' while Carol and I have been flying around out here. He reports no problems and over 30 hours on the hobbs so far.
I have plans to do some trips, [ong weekends], Sept, Oct LOE, and a Gastons weekend in Nov, in the 8.
Anyone have extra room during The Reno Air Races?
See you home folk Monday ish.

Back