What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closing the Loop

Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
All good things must come to an end, and so this morning I had to finish my Oshkosh/Minnesota visit with the flight back to the Houston area. Louise also had to head home to the D.C. area, so we looked at weather together the night before, and it sure looked like I was getting the short end of the stick! She had no predicted precip or weather at all - I had good stuff until Arkansas, and then it appeared that dodging thunderstorms was going to be the order of the day. Ah well...that's why we have all those great toys!

Launching a little before 0800 out of Anoka County (thanks again go to Alex and Pete for the use of their hangar!), I had a smooth three hours with no significant weather or turbulence all the way to Neosho, MO. The winds were showing head for the first 500 miles, increasing with altitude, so I settled in at 7500' burning 8.2 gph at 170 knots. The initial headwind did drop off down around Kansas City, but by that time, I was thinking arrival and looking ahead to the weather and terrain on the second leg.

Neosho was a nice stop with friendly folks to talk to while fueling - they are opening a brand new terminal in a few weeks, and it looks nice (although the locals figured it would increase the price of gas). I tagged up with Louise by cell phone - she had left ANE behind me, and was refueling somewhere southeast of Chicago. It is simply amazing the kind of connectivity we can have these days.

The big mass of storms that had my attention extended from Fort Smith down to Longview in Texas, and from a little east of Dallas to the Texarkana region. Drawing my course line on top of them, the shortest deviation would have been to the east, but something told me that the Louisiana area was more unstable than the Texas side, and I have a saying for summer weather - when in doubt, deviate west!. I plotted a course around the mess, and starting the deviation at Neosho (rather than going right up to it and then detouring), going all the way over almost to the DFW Class B, then heading back on course to the east side of Houston (cheap fuel at Liberty this month!), I was only adding 24 miles to the route, so I cranked it all into the flight plan and climbed to 12.5K to watch the weather unfold.

With nothing to do but check weather and watch the autopilot fly, I took a couple of pictures as a passed a cell northeast of Dallas. Here's what it looked like on the 396. Sorry for the glare - note the cell off the left wing with lightning, and the small cell without lightning of the nose.

IMG_1348.JPG

Here's what he cell to the left looked like in real life:

IMG_1349.JPG

And here's what was off the nose at the same time:

IMG_1350.JPG

After passing the cell to the left, I turned a few degrees left to avoid the one ahead, and shortly thereafter, I turned the corner on th whole mess and slid on down to Liberty. I kept looking east, and sure enough, the whole of Louisiana had popped into thundershowers, and finding a way through would have been a lot of work - down low, bumpy and hot. Glad I did it the way I did.

Total flight time for th day turned out to be almost exactly six hours, and the temperature in Houston a muggy 95 degrees. You know it's hot when you have both vents open at 12.5 and the air feels comfortable.

A day flying each way, a day at Oshkosh, a few days with the parents, and a nice day flying up to Duluth with Louise (a topic for another post....) and all possible with these dream machines called RV's. As I was wiping the bugs of the wings, the cell phone rang - Louise had made it home with her -6, so all is right with the world. Back to work again - I'm sure I have a lot to get caught up on before a shuttle launch attempt next week....

Last edited:
Nice photos! I have really found it educational to see a cell on XM and visually at the same time - the eyeball and radar / stormscope sometimes give different assessments of the same weather, and it's good to "calibrate" the eye. Glad to see that XM is "telling the truth" about what's really there.

Still wish I had photos of that monster cell that popped up on us in Nebraska. SD memory card on the camera went nuts sometime between Dallas and Kansas and it wouldn't talk to the camera, so no photos from that part of the trip :( Both the XM and visual views were intimidating :eek:

TODR, happy user of XM

XM weather is great BUT

I love my 496 and the XM weather BUT...
As Paul and others have said, it's just another tool in the bag. It can't be beat for planning purposes. Winds, warnings, sat view, etc. but I've found it pretty iffy as far as fast building TRW's are concerned. Many times I've thought I wouldn't go that way on a bet by looking at the NEXRAD but looking out the window was a completely different story. I know it's anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes old or more and act accordingly.
Do I use it? You bet. One of the best planning tools I've encountered in all my years flying.
Would I fly IMC around convective stuff. Never.
That said, it's still the best thing since sliced bread..

RV8iator said:
Many times I've thought I wouldn't go that way on a bet by looking at the NEXRAD but looking out the window was a completely different story. I know it's anywhere from 1 to 15 minutes old or more and act accordingly.
I think one of the other pluses of XM for WX avoidance is for embedded TS. When you're under a layer and can't see the buildup well, XM has proven to be very useful.

My rules

As I've said many times, you have to have some carefully thought out rules for using XM Weather. Each person builds their own - mine include:

1) ALWAYS have a clear "escape path" from weather - either a clear line between you and an airport, or you and clear air. The XM could quit at any time. (I personally have never seen the Nexrad timer show anything longer than 4 minutes (latency from the last update), but it could always die.

2) I don't fly in the clouds around anything worse than yellow precip. I prefer to be under a good ceiling with good visibility, or on top (like the pictures above) where I can see what's going on.

3) Anything with lightning (or, of no lightning, more than a few red pixels) gets a wider berth!

Good tool - combine it with good judgment and you'll make a lot more trips!

Paul

XM

Paul,
picked up a 396 at Osh and it paid for itself on way back to GA. Got as far as CHA and much weather ahead. Used 396 to fly between two cells south of CHA and sat down in Monroe Ga waiting for cell over destination 9A1 Covington, GA to move out. Mouth a bit dry when going between the cells as I could plainly see the formations but XM gave me the inside look I needed. It is a great tool, but I will use it very carefully.
Dick RV6A 500 hrs

Back