What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerobatic?

Eagleflip

I'm probably hoping against hope here, but... :D

I did a search on this but didn't see any reply specific to the 12. Is there any word from Van if the 12 will be stressed for aerobatics? I looked at the LSA rules and did not see any prohibition against it from that aspect, so I was just wondering if there was any possiblity of gentlemany loops and such.

Thanks!

Sam

I don't think so

Highly unlikely. Like the -9 and -10, acro is not it's intended mission. Yes, it probably can be tossed about but what if you fall out of a loop or get behind it on the pull coming out the bottom and nail too many G's on it? We all intend to keep the loadings under control at all times but we're not perfect and sometimes you just don't get it right. But then again, Tony Levier rolled a B-707 with no ill effects. It's all in the technique!

The first time someone pulls the wings off one will be a bad day for the LSA movement in general.

To each his own, your mileage may vary, etc etc. You're the manufacturer and you can certify it for any maneuvers you choose, as long as they are documented in the operating limitations.

Best wishes.

Not totally!

Brian Denk said:
You're the manufacturer and you can certify it for any maneuvers you choose, as long as they are documented in the operating limitations.

Best wishes.
The inspector has the option of allowing aerobatics or not. If you want approval for acro, you will have to convince your ASI/DAR that the airplane is properly suited for aerobatics.

Its like everything else

There's legal (or not) and sensible/stupid.

My Zenaile Zodiac was not an aerobatic airplane but it was a Utility category equivilent. I used to roll it and spin it all the time.

Never did a loop and I don't I ever would for the reasons posted above.

frank 7a...Last nights PX screaming with delight at the top of a hammerhead...:)

I understand your concerns and comments (and agree!), but there is perhaps a more straightforward question to ask.

Does Vans state that the RV 8, for example, is designed and stressed for "light" aerobatics? If not, ok... If they do, however, are they going to make any statement concerning the 12 to that effect?

Thanks in advance!

<<If they do, however, are they going to make any statement concerning the 12 to that effect? >>

Call Van's and ask them.

If you really want something Sport legal for acro, I have a nice Maxair Rocket for sale in the classified section. You won't pull the wings off. The prototype was bag-loaded to 10 and 10, and you can't get more than about 5.5 in flight without an accelerated stall.

<<rather terse comment "Call Vans and ask them" could be applied to any comment on the board, don't you think?>>

No, and no offense intended. The issue revolves around engineered design limits. Right now only a few folks at Van's would know the real answer...which may or may not be greater than the LSA minimum.

Check out the Sonex

I spent some time at the Sonex booth this year. I was pretty impressed at the simplicity of the aircraft. Van's has really struggled with the RV-12 and from what I have heard sales are down 40% overall, Van is semi-retired, and a few key employees have left. There are always rough times when change occurs but if I were to purchase an LSA right now I would highly consider the Sonex ST. They have close to 200 flying and over 1000 being built. They are stressed for aerobatics. In their static test of the wing, it failed at 11 g's. Not to bad. They are very simple and fast aircraft. At 8000 ft. the aircraft will cruise at 170 mph TAS.

They offer three engine choices, the 80 hp Aerovee, the 80 hp Jabiru and 120 hp Jabiru.

I know this is an RV-12 site and I still think the RV-12 looks better but I want something that is proven and if you need to buy something this year and you want to assemble it, there just aren't that many choices. Especially if you want something that is aerobatic.

ScottSchmidt said:
I know this is an RV-12 site and I still think the RV-12 looks better but I want something that is proven and if you need to buy something this year and you want to assemble it, there just aren't that many choices. Especially if you want something that is aerobatic.

The biggest problem I have is size...from the many people who have sat in a Sonex, I've heard that if you're over 5'10" you'll never fit in it. Do you agree? Just curious...

Sonex Video on You Tube

Here is a You Tube video on the Sonex I recently found. I know very little about these aircraft. I would like to learn more on their safety record. I would love to build an LSA with my dad so he could get his LS license.

As far as room goes, your right in that it is not too roomy and they said there are no options for more room. I sat in their demo model, I am 6'4" and it was a little short on leg room but I could still fly it. One thing about the Sonex is that you only have to use the rudder pedels to control steering and yaw, the brake is a hand brake on the left side. So even though your legs are bent you don't need to be able rotate your feet forward. I need to go fly in one but I don't know anyone at my airport that has one. I know there are a couple in Richfield UT. Maybe I can trade a ride in the -10 for one in the Sonex.

ScottSchmidt said:
Van's has really struggled with the RV-12 and from what I have heard sales are down 40% overall, Van is semi-retired, and a few key employees have left.
I am curious how many other manufacturers have gone to the length that Van has to fully test the 12. Unfortunately the wing he chose wasn't quite right. Even in my own frustration with the delays, I fully believe that Van is going to put out a fine flying craft that will cover both the stall speed at the bottom and pretty close to 120 Kts. at the top. I don't know if I call that a struggle. I'm not sure it is the aircraft for me yet.

Van's sales down 40%? Really? And he is losing key employee's??

You know I am not a Koolaid drinker, and not even a builder yet, but this is the first I have heard of trouble in Oregon...

My apologies in advance if this is solid info... but all due respect... is this substantiated? I have no vested interest in the Van's camp... but sure hate to see gossip spread.

DJ

ScottSchmidt said:
Van's has really struggled with the RV-12 and from what I have heard sales are down 40% overall, Van is semi-retired, and a few key employees have left.

Where did you get this information???

Does actually executing a very detailed flight test program (instead of taking orders before their prototype had even flown; like at least one other kit manufacturer) mean struggling?

Does it make a person semi retired because he built a company to the point that other people with many years with the company handle all of the day to day operations and he works a four day work week instead of five?

A few key employees have left? If anything I would guess it to be just the opposite. The average of years with the company is quite high compared to many other mass production companies.

Even if any of this is true...why should it be grounds to "look elsewhere".
If you want to compare other airplanes to the RV-12...Great. That is what this forum is for.
Unsubstantiated personal opinions about the stability of one company or another, is not making airplane comparisons

If you like the sonex, then build a sonex, but please don't be spreading this type of info in public to bolster your reasoning for choosing to break ranks from the RV family.

Last edited:
Hey, Wait A Minute . . . .

I read Scott Schmidt's post to be addressing an aerobatic LSA. I mean, that's the title of this thread. As best I can tell, Van isn't making one. I for one really appreciate Scott's point; I've done high-speed aerobatics (a long time ago), and I'd really like to be able to do some aerobatics again, even a tamer version. :cool: I'm limited to light sport though. :(

While this is a pro-Van's site, one can be pro-Van's and still wish for something Van's isn't making now.

Scott M. says, "If you like the sonex, then build a sonex, but please don't be spreading this type of info in public to bolster your reasoning for choosing to break ranks from the RV family."

I have no idea whether the remarks about sales down, semi-retirement, key employees leaving, are true or not.

But I don't think that's the focus of what Scott S. is saying. The reason one might "break ranks from the RV family" on this issue is that the RV family doesn't have an aerobatic LSA.

My gosh, Scott S. is a builder (has built an RV-10), and seems to be a valuable contributing member to this forum (although I'm not building yet, so what do I really know).

He's just trying to find a plane he can build with his dad, who is also light sport restricted. I think that's great.

One of the things I like most about Doug's forum is that participants are tolerant of differing views. I hope it always stays that way.

My 2 cents.

John

I heard this from some very reliable sources who are very close to Van's Aircraft but it may not be true and I personally don't care. Don't kill the messenger. One of my rules to live by is don't assume anything and this is true here as well. I guess I threw it out there to see if any of it was true and forgot to mention that. I really don't have too many negative thoughts that run through my brain and I didn't mean to bad mouth Van's Aircraft at all. The guy is awesome and I really look up to him and his company. It is sad that he is not at the office everyday now. He told me at Oshkosh that he makes it in 2-3 times a week or whenever he feel like it. What a great way to retire!

I love the company too. What I meant from the comment was that Van's Aircraft is probably one of the least experienced in the LSA market but I think is catching up very quickly and will probably surpass them. They have a lead in manufacturing, engineering, and support over most companies. I also was just pointing out that if you wanted a plane today (that was also aerobatic) that maybe you could consider a Sonex. They both appear to great planes. They both have planes flying everyday and appear (at first search on NTSB) to have a great safety record.

Even myself, a Van's faithful, thought I should look at other designs to see if someone was doing it better, more efficiently, and cheaper.

As far as Van's rumors, isn't that what a forum is for. You always want to know that the company you are purchasing your plane from is stable, excited, and dedicated. We all post what we hear, if someone really cares they can make some calls and let us know the truth. I asked a few question at Oshkosh and even I got slammed by multiple sources about the problems they are having with sales and personality conflicts. I'm not going to look into this any further because I don't really care and I shouldn't have said anything about this. Wow, I am always amazed what stirs the pot a little bit.

I probably typed it so freely because I don't think anything I heard was a big deal. If a company isn't having problems from time to time (which I don't know if they are) then they either are not growing, solving the right problems, or building up for a disaster down the line. Even I have applied to work for this guy when I got out school back in 1997. I'm sure someone knows a key person from Van's on this list. So ask them, "are sales down around 40% ?" and we will have an answer. Heck, I would have asked Van himself if I would have thought twice about it. But instead, I talked to Van about how much we love our RV-10's.

OK, can anyone substantiate this since a few are really concerned about it?
I would really like to get back to talking about aerobatic LSA!

Another fun video!
Aerobatic Sonex Flying

Last edited:
Jartz said:
But I don't think that's the focus of what Scott S. is saying. The reason one might "break ranks from the RV family" on this issue is that the RV family doesn't have an aerobatic LSA.
You may be right (though from his follow up post I still am not sure.

My point was... if it was not his focus, then all of the other stuff wasn't even relevant and was totally unnecessary

ScottSchmidt said:
I heard this from some very reliable sources who are very close to Van's Aircraft but it may not be true and I personally don't care. Don't kill the messenger.

I am not meaning to kill the messenger, honest.

But if you feel the info is relevant, then tell everyone what the sourceswere so that the statements have some credibility and not still just rumor mill rumors.

One other poster already wrote "this is the first he has heard of trouble in Oregon"...

This is how rumors that can actually do damage to a company's business get started and then run wild on the Net in just a few days.
Which was the primary reason for my post.
I know that you are a supporter and customer of Van's Aircraft and I didn't mean to imply that you were trying to intentionally undermine there business.

What I am meaning to imply is that posting this type of information still can have that effect; even if it is not intentional. This is why I believe it should not be posted here unless you are willing to substantiate it

rvbuilder2002 said:
I am not meaning to kill the messenger, honest.

But if you feel the info is relevant, then tell everyone what the sourceswere so that the statements have some credibility and not still just rumor mill rumors.

I had to run to the hanger and mow my lawn that was over 12". Been too busy on other stuff the past few weeks to keep up with it. OK, and now the rest of the story.

What I said was only relevant because at the time we were discussing why Van's was having trouble with the design of the RV-12. This is when the discussions of some discontinuity at Van's was discussed. I'm sure they are really trying to make it handle like an RV while fitting into the regulation which is causing delays.

And it doesn't really matter who said what. If it is true its true. I will put my reputation on the line and say that I trust the individuals I was talking with. So consider it credible. How does that effect your decisions? It shouldn't at all. So what if the sales are down, a few people have left, Van isn't hanging around as much as he used to. There are many other market drivers that could be causing this.

They live and die by creating great airplanes that fly better and are cheaper than anything else on the market. And what does 40% decrease in sales mean? Is that from last year this time, or off their forecast? Who is considered a key employee? I think everyone from Van to the janitor would be a key employee.
I honestly believe that their sales are down. My observation from Oshkosh this year is that the "middle class" is going away. And I consider all of Van's current planes in that category. The economy the past 5 years has been absolutely incredible. People have made a lot of money in their 401k's, in real estate, and in the growth of their businesses. The baby boomers have money and there are now better aircraft options out there other than Cessna and Piper. Cirrus, Diamond Aircraft, and even higher end stuff like the Eclipse is what people are buying. If your read AOPA much Phil Boyer talks about how women have changed the spending habits of the family household. They want to take care of the family first and if they do want a plane, they want planes with a parachute. So who becomes the leader in aircraft sales? Cirrus. The two markets that are growing are LSA and the high end market ($600,000 - $2,000,000). There are 600,000 licensed pilots and that number is not changing very quickly.

I think Van's will do a great job in the experimental LSA market but my feeling is that most LSA buyers don't care about the difference between $50,000 and $100,000. They are not price sensitive in that range. So who is going to win again? I think companies like the Cessna and Cirrus LSA will dominate this market.

Van's competitive advantage has been performance and a great price. If consumers are not price sensitive and performance is now dictated by regulation, I don't see them dominating the LSA market. This is just my feeling when I think about the market and the consumer. Because of this I can see why there may some confusion in the Van's RV camp right now. They will always have the best 2 place and 4 place homebuilt aircraft in my mind but the evolution must continue or another company will improve and take over. The LSA market has always been an area that Van approached with great caution since it really opens new doors and redefines their value proposition.

So what is the solution? They should separate the two companies. I think the demographics of the current RV consumer and the RV-12 consumer are quite different. They also must have a great looking, value priced aircraft and offer an option of purchasing a "turn key" aircraft. To me, Van's means aerobatic capable aircraft. Why would they not make their LSA aerobatic then or at least offer two wings designs? They need to compare their LSA to the other LSA's and say, ours is easier to build, cheaper than the other experimental (or priced comparable to the production models), and handles better.

Because of a certain level of saturation in the current number of private pilots, and the unknown LSA market growth potential and needs, coupled with a transition of Van passing the torch which causes a shift in the culture, there are bound to be some issues.

They have a lot of momentum that will help but if I were the CEO I would be watching out for the focused LSA company and not get too distracted away from what got them where they are today.

Last edited:
Scott - my original response to your posting was purposefully reserved, and through a little sarcasm was trying to politely say I thought it was inappropriate. After reading your long explanations... I still think it was inappropriate.

So some employee supposedly gave you the inside dish. Which you broadcast to the world via this forum. Those statements, whether true or false could not be judged as anything but hurtful to a business. Even rumors that there are problems... can cause distrust by the consumer.

Then in the first line of your retort you state:

I heard this from some very reliable sources who are very close to Van's Aircraft but it may not be true and I personally don't care.
(My emphasis added).

So why the H*** would you post something potentially damaging to a company whose product you use to your benefit? Those that know me well would attest that I am very easy going. But I got to tell you, I was offended by your freely offered "facts" which you then turn around and state you don't even know if they are true. I gotta hold up the red BS card. Those comments then did not belong here.

My opinion -

DJ

DJ, I never thought them to be inappropriate or damaging to the company and I'm very sorry you took them that way, I never meant them that way. For me it is a business case and if you don't have all the info you can't solve the problem correctly. When discussing the slow development of the RV-12 with a group at Oshkosh, the issues being discussed seemed to me as a very good reason and something that had to be worked out. What is wrong with that? I should not have said anything negative about Van's. The way I wrote it was taken the wrong way. Here is what I was actually saying which appears to have offended some.

It appears there have some delays on the RV-12. If you are anxious at purchasing an experimental LSA now or want one that is aerobatic, you may want to consider the Sonex.

I also know as an absolute that nothing I say or you say will affect the confidence of the Van's consumer. Now if 20 RV's have their wings pop off tomorrow, that will affect the confidence of the consumer.

I was trying to make a point when I said "but it may not be true and I personally don't care". Even if Van himself told me that, it still could not be the feelings of the heart of the company. Van didn't say this, but it doesn't matter!

I honestly have no idea how you can be offended.

Even though you have blasted me DJ, in the words of Top Gun, "you can be my wingman anytime!"

Last edited:
Mike_ExpressCT said:
The biggest problem I have is size...from the many people who have sat in a Sonex, I've heard that if you're over 5'10" you'll never fit in it. Do you agree? Just curious...

I'm 6'1" and I don't fit in the Sonex.

BTW, I've heard that Boeing has lost some key employees during their 80-year history. Heck, their original designers are dead. Yet despite this turn of events they still managed to design the Dreamliner.

Regarding areobatics - the original topic - any aircraft in the sky can do a simple positive roll. If that's the extent of your aerobatic portfolio, you'll be fine. To date I have not seen the stress limits of the aircraft, therefore I can not speculate what they will be.

ScottSchmidt said:
I heard this from some very reliable sources who are very close to Van's Aircraft but it may not be true and I personally don't care.

Going into a public forum, claiming that a company's sales are off by 40% (huge) and then admitting that you don't know or care if what you said is true is pretty irresponsible. Care to cite sources for this info? I can't imagine that too many folks know actual sales figures for Van's and that anybody employed there that does is probably not supposed to be announcing such things to outsiders.

According to physics, yes! Legally....?

RV6junkie said:
Regarding areobatics - the original topic - any aircraft in the sky can do a simple positive roll. If that's the extent of your aerobatic portfolio, you'll be fine. To date I have not seen the stress limits of the aircraft, therefore I can not speculate what they will be.
Read your operating limitations where it says "This aircraft is prohibited from aerobatic flight....." Unless Van's specifically states that the aircraft is aerobatic, it will be up to you to convince your DAR to include acro.

Hi, Mel.

Mel said:
Read your operating limitations where it says "This aircraft is prohibited from aerobatic flight....." Unless Van's specifically states that the aircraft is aerobatic, it will be up to you to convince your DAR to include acro.
So how did Bob Hover get away with the doing the things he did. I don't mean his considerable flying skill, but the legalness (is that a real word?) of his show.

Kent

Hoover's aircraft had special operating limitations allowing aerobatics. Even though the aircraft may not have been modified, the paperwork was.

Waiver too....

kentb said:
So how did Bob Hover get away with the doing the things he did. I don't mean his considerable flying skill, but the legalness (is that a real word?) of his show.

Kent
.........ahem..."legality" :)

Kent,
More than likely, a low altitude waiver as well. I don't recall reading about any prohibition on doing rolls or loops in the Aero Commander either.

Regards,
Pierre

looking for an Aerobatics instructor

I am the recent purchaser of a 2008 RV 7A, and i am interested in learning aerobatics. I am definitely not going to "wing it" ( pun intended).
Does anyone know of a good instructor in the Atlanta, GA area?

Back