What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Autopilot newbie: Altitude hold

Leonard_Smith_nz

All,

I've just read Stein's article on autopilots in Kitplanes. As a complete novice in this area I'm wondering about the following:

Does 'Altitude Hold' also mean 'Wing Leveler'.

I can see that for some a basic 'straight and level' autopilot without the more advanced and expensive features like GPS Nav, GPSS etc would be a useful aid.

Just wondering...

No

Altitude hold involves elevator control only. Tru Trak's Altrak altitude hold is what I eventually installed in our RV-6A after flying for approximately 1 year both IFR and VFR. The value of this change cannot be overstated. At the same time I added a Tru Trak Pictorial pilot (which requires a GPS serial input) which involves aileron control only. The value of this change cannot be overstated either.

Bob Axsom

Would I be correct in assuming that you must have electric elevator trim to install an altitude hold AP? Likewise for a wing leveler?

Regards,

A

Neither are required. The upper scale servos will give a warning when it is requiring too much power to maintain level flight (you need to adjust trim). For trutrak, this is elevator only.

wing leveler is a function of the roll servo.

No Again

My pitch trim is manual and the roll trim is the Van's spring tensioner lever for balancing fuel load. The latter I installed but never use since I keep the fuel load fairly well balanced - it does work fine however.

Bob Axsom

No, "Wing Leveler" is a roll function

Leonard_Smith_nz said:
All,

Does 'Altitude Hold' also mean 'Wing Leveler'.

No, a wing leveler is a roll autopilot. You can buy them with or without altitude hold. The wing leveler controls an aileron servo, and the altitude hold controls an elevator servo.

Back